William Elwood Harris, 93, Martin Marietta inspector

July 23, 2002

William Elwood Harris, a retired Martin Marietta Corp. quality control inspector who later owned and operated an insurance agency, died of cancer Saturday at Gilchrist Center for Hospice Care in Towson. He was 93.

A resident of Parkville for more than 50 years, Mr. Harris had lived in Ellicott City since 2000.

He was born in Booneville, Va., and moved with his family to Sparrows Point in 1925. He earned his General Educational Development diploma at Polytechnic Institute and a bachelor's degree in aeronautical drawing from Maryland Institute College of Art.

He went to work as a clerk in 1930 at what was then Glenn L. Martin Co. in Middle River. In the late 1930s, he worked on one of the company's early bombers, the B-10. During World War II, he was general foreman of Plant No. 2 and later became a quality control inspector.

Retiring after 37 years, Mr. Harris began a second career. He established the William E. Harris Insurance Agency in Parkville, operating it until he retired a second time in 1982.

In 1929, he married Marie C. Dovell, who died in 1984.

Services will be held at 1 p.m. today at Leonard J. Ruck Funeral Home, 5305 Harford Road.

Survivors include a son, Gary E. Harris of Colorado Springs, Colo.; a daughter, Carole S. Young of Ellicott City; a brother, Sterling Harris of Baltimore; a sister, Violet Froehlich of Baltimore; seven grandchildren; 17 great-grandchildren; and three great-great-grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.