Man, 26, hospitalized after his vehicle overturns on...


July 18, 2002

Man, 26, hospitalized after his vehicle overturns on I-97

A single-vehicle accident yesterday morning on Interstate 97 in Crownsville sent a 26-year-old Salisbury resident to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center and tied up traffic in both directions for about an hour, Maryland State Police said.

John Walker Andrus was flown to Shock Trauma after he over-corrected his 1998 GMC Jimmy, causing it to flip over the guardrail and land on its side in a southbound lane, police said. He was listed in fair condition yesterday afternoon.

The 9 a.m. accident halted traffic in both directions while the helicopter landed. No one else was injured, police said.

2 men hurt in sewer blast still in hospital; 4 released

Two Anne Arundel County public works employees who were burned in an underground sewer explosion Tuesday were listed in fair condition yesterday at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, while four others were released, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Frank Weilman Jr., 43, of Pasadena, who was in critical condition Tuesday after sustaining second-degree burns to the chest, face and arms, was upgraded to fair condition yesterday, the spokeswoman said. Steve Dary, 47, of Glen Burnie also was listed in fair condition.

Released yesterday were Tom Lange, 42, of Glen Burnie; Larry Kiessling, 49, of Severn; Mark Bois, 40, of Pasadena; and Byron Belcher, 54, of the Eastern Shore.

Garage is destroyed in fire started during welding

A garage blaze yesterday in Severn drew 39 Anne Arundel County firefighters and caused about $135,000 in damage, a county fire spokesman said.

Gary Bussey noticed his detached garage in the 1700 block of Severn Road was on fire shortly after he stopped welding a van about 2:20 p.m. Fire investigators believe heat or sparks from the welder ignited the van.

The fire took about 25 minutes to bring under control, the spokesman said. He estimated the garage and its contents sustained about $125,000 in damage, and melted shingles and siding on the house added an additional $10,000 in losses.

No one was injured in the fire.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.