Edward J. Casey, a retired industrial arts teacher who was on the faculty of Polytechnic Institute for 30 years, died of heart failure Sunday at Good Samaritan Hospital. He was 80.
The former longtime Timonium resident, who had lived in Hamilton since last year, was born and raised on Abbotson Street near Clifton Park. He was a 1940 graduate of Polytechnic Institute.
During World War II, he served as an ordnance officer with the Army's Fifth Division in the European theater. Discharged in 1945 with the rank of lieutenant, he began studying industrial education on the GI Bill at the University of Maryland, College Park, earning his degree in 1951.
He was recalled to active duty during the Korean conflict and was an ordnance officer and weapons instructor at Aberdeen Proving Ground from 1949 to 1951.
Mr. Casey began teaching wood joinery and pattern-making courses at the old Polytechnic Institute on North Avenue in 1951, and continued at the school's present location in the 1400 block of W. Cold Spring Lane, where it moved in 1969. He helped design the new school building, family members said.
He enjoyed working in his basement workshop, where he made furniture and ornamental carvings. A Civil War buff, he liked visiting the Gettysburg and Antietam battlefields and collecting period pistols and rifles.
Mr. Casey was a communicant for many years of St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church in Texas, Baltimore County.
A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 11 a.m. tomorrow at St. Matthew Roman Catholic Church, Loch Raven Boulevard and Woodbourne Avenue.
He is survived by his wife of 46 years, the former Eleanor M. Burkhardt; three sons, Patrick J. Casey of Chicago, Sean M. Casey of Perry Hall and Terrence C. Casey of Terra Haute, Ind.; two daughters, Moira A. Landes of Columbus, Ohio, and Dana R. Coulter of Lauraville; and 11 grandchildren.