Charles Mallory, 76, took part in expedition to Antarctica

July 12, 2002|By Frederick N. Rasmussen | Frederick N. Rasmussen,SUN STAFF

Charles William Mallory, who accompanied Adm. Richard E. Byrd on his last Antarctic expedition and later retired as senior technical adviser to Westinghouse Electric Corp., died of leukemia Saturday at North Arundel Hospital. He was 76.

The 37-year resident of the Chartwell community in Severna Park was a newly commissioned ensign when he joined Admiral Byrd's final Antarctic expedition in 1946.

During the three-month tour to the Antarctic that extended into 1947, Mr. Mallory was a member of a 4,000-man team that conducted scientific experiments and explored the vast wastes at the bottom of the world.

He participated in the construction of Admiral Byrd's Little America IV research station, and a year later, returned as staff construction officer for Operation Windmill.

Because of his role in a mapping expedition along Antarctica's Knox Coast, Mallory Point was named for him by Admiral Byrd, said Mr. Mallory's son, Michael Joseph Mallory of Baltimore.

Mr. Mallory was born and raised on his family's farm in Brewster, Kan. After graduation from high school in 1943, he began his college studies at Kansas State College. In 1944, he enlisted in the Navy and was assigned to the ROTC program at the University of Colorado, where he earned a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering.

In 1950, he earned his master's degree in civil engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, N.Y., and moved to Bethesda.

During the 1950s, as a member of Adm. Hyman Rickover's staff, he worked on the development of nuclear power plants for submarines. He later served as the project officer for the nuclear propulsion system for the USS Triton, a submarine.

Mr. Mallory returned to the Antarctic in 1962 and 1963, overseeing the construction of the nuclear power plant at McMurdo Station. He retired from the Navy's Civil Engineering Corps with the rank of commander in 1965.

At the time of his retirement, he was presented with the secretary of the Navy's Commendation Medal for his work developing nuclear power plants for remote military installations.

In 1965, he went to work for Hittman Corp. in Columbia as manager of nuclear and environmental engineering. Promoted to vice president in 1970, his engineering interests expanded to include the field of radioactive waste disposal.

He remained with the company after its purchase by Westinghouse Electric Corp. in 1982, as senior technical adviser until retiring in 1988.

Mr. Mallory wrote widely in his field and was the author of more than 30 technical papers. He held a number of U.S. and foreign patents.

An avid golfer, he was an active member and past president of the Chartwell Country Club. He also enjoyed photography and was a Baltimore Colts fan.

Mr. Mallory was an active communicant of St. John the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church, 689 Ritchie Highway, Severna Park, where a Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10 a.m. tomorrow.

Interment with full military honors will be at 12:30 p.m. Aug. 9 at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia.

In addition to his son, Mr. Mallory is survived by his wife, the former Anne Duffy, whom he married in 1950; two sisters, Nadine Kammer and Bonnie Reid, both of Brewster, Kan.; and two grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.