Gasoline leak cause of blaze in Mount Airy

July 10, 2002|BY A SUN STAFF WRITER

A gasoline leak in an automobile engine caused a two-alarm fire that damaged a wooden barn in Mount Airy yesterday, according to the state fire marshal's office.

The fire at 10:41 a.m. caused an estimated $50,000 in damage and lost contents to the 28-foot-by-32-foot wooden barn and a 20-foot-by-24-foot masonry garage in the 4000 block of Buffalo Road, according to the report. No injuries were reported.

The blaze began when a leak in the engine compartment of a 1990 Chrysler LeBaron sprayed gasoline onto the manifold. The owner searched for a fire extinguisher before calling 911, according to the deputy fire marshal's report.

About 50 firefighters from Mount Airy, New Windsor, Union Bridge, Winfield, Sykesville, Gamber, Libertytown and Lisbon brought the fire under control in about half an hour.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.