9 offenders from Hickey School caught after escape

July 01, 2002|By Stephen Kiehl | Stephen Kiehl,SUN STAFF

Nine teen-age boys who removed a window and cut through two fences to escape from the Charles H. Hickey School on Saturday were back in custody by the end of the night, authorities said yesterday.

Two of the boys were caught shortly after the 8:30 p.m. escape from the school for juvenile offenders in Cub Hill.

State troopers and Baltimore County police used helicopters and police dog units to catch the other seven escapees about 11:40 p.m. in a residential area near Joppa Road and Walther Boulevard, about two miles from the school.

The boys, ages 15 to 17, were on foot, unarmed and wearing their Hickey School uniforms. They have committed "everything from drug crimes to assault," said Lee Towers, a spokesman for the Department of Juvenile Justice.

The nine boys will also face escape charges. They were turned over to the juvenile justice department and dispersed to juvenile facilities throughout the state, Towers said.

"We don't like to send them back to the same facility when something like this happens," he said. Their absence from King Hall at the Hickey School was noticed about 8:30 p.m. by staff on a routine check.

The boys had removed a metal-frame security window, Towers said. Then they opened a glass window and slipped out of a ground-floor dorm room and cut through two fences and escaped into the woods.

Two of the boys, both 16, were caught about 9:30 p.m. near Gun Hill Circle and Parkfalls Road, about two miles east of the school. The other seven were caught two hours later about two miles south of the school.

Towers said the boys, who were from various parts of the state, were in a 12- to 18-month enhanced program for youths who have committed serious offenses.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.