At :46 left in 2OT, Dulaney is champ 3rd year running

Obringer's 5th goal beats No. 10 Severna Park, 16-15

Class 4A-3A state boys lacrosse

High schools

May 23, 2002|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

The boys lacrosse game between the state's two best public school teams did not disappoint.

Senior Mike Obringer scored his fifth goal with 46 seconds left in the second four-minute overtime, the ball bouncing off the goalie and into the net to lift No. 9 Dulaney to its third straight Class 4A-3A state championship, 16-15, over No. 10 Severna Park before 1,800 last night at UMBC.

"I just couldn't believe it when that last shot went in. I saw it hit the goalie's jersey and I thought, not another one of those," Obringer said.

"I got to credit everybody else. It's a team game. It feels amazing to win our third state title. I thought about it [scoring the game-winner] and talked to my friends about it. I said, `Wouldn't it be cool to run down with no time left on the clock and put one in that ends the game?' "

The Lions' 16th straight win also brought them their fifth overall state crown.

Dulaney (16-2) led 14-12 with 3:11 left in regulation on consecutive goals by juniors Kyle Batton and Jay Feeley. But the Falcons (15-5) tied the score on two straight goals - the last on a follow-up by Mike Osborne (five goals, three assists) with 38 seconds left.

Dulaney led 15-14 with 25 seconds left after Obringer (four goals, one assist) stormed in unhindered. But a diving 2-yard bounce shot by Severna Park's Tommy Williams (two goals, two assists) with two seconds left in regulation forced overtime.

The Falcons' Tyler Eddy made three overtime saves and altered a fourth by Obringer, who hit the pipe. Falcons keeper Tim Mullen (13) had one save in the first extra session, and Severna Park's Brian Burns (one, one) hit the pipe in the second.

"We had our shots and we could have taken them, but we missed. There is no better team out there [than Dulaney], I can tell you that," Williams said. "To hit the pipe that many times, you start getting discouraged. You get so many freakin' opportunities."

Matt Mindel scored three times for Dulaney, whose attackman, Cary Howard, missed all four of the previous playoff games with mononucleosis. Defender Chris Llekas was playing with a broken hand.

"Both teams were so intense. I didn't see one player quit from either side," Dulaney's 23-year coach Gary Schreiber said of the game that was tied eight times. "My heart stopped on those pipe shots. At the end, we didn't know who was going to win. Whoever had possession had the chance."

Severna Park's Andrew Ostrusky scored four times.

Down 2-0, the Lions scored four straight goals to go up 4-2 with 2:24 left in the first period. Severna Park stormed back to go up 6-5 on Osborne's extra-man goal 10:19 before halftime, but Dulaney scored six of the next eight goals - including the last three consecutively for an 11-8 halftime lead.

Trailing 6-5, the Lions scored twice within a 49-second span for a 7-6 lead, getting Obringer's extra-man goal followed by Batton's third score six minutes before halftime.

Severna Park's Jon Bean tied the score for the for the fourth time at 7, but Feeley's goal at 3:58 began a 3-1 Dulaney run.

Goals: S-Ostrusky 4, Ortel 2, Osborne 4, Williams 2, Burns, Bean, Zichelli. D-Obringer 5, Batton 5, Feeley 3, Mindel 3. Assists: S-Ortel, Osborne 3, Williams 2, Burns, Bean. D-Obringer, Feeley, Naylor. Saves: S- Eddy 15. D- Mullen 13. Half: 11-8, D.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.