Middle schools' requirements bring teacher changes Anne...

Arundel Digest

May 22, 2002

Middle schools' requirements bring teacher changes

Anne Arundel County middle schools will have more art, music and foreign language teachers in the fall when the schools begin conforming with state curriculum requirements, officials told the state Board of Education yesterday.

For the first time in many years, all county middle-schoolers will be required to take fine arts, physical education and health. But other electives are losing pupils; the school system in fall will have 11 fewer technical education teachers and eight fewer family and consumer science teachers than this school year, officials reported.

Officials also said four of the county's 19 middle schools will not offer the full complement of electives. French will not be offered at Brooklyn Park, George Fox and Meade middle schools, although those schools will offer Spanish. General music will not be offered at Southern Middle, which instead will offer band, strings and chorus.

Man apparently died in drug smuggling plot

A Nigerian man who was found dead in a Laurel motel Friday apparently overdosed on heroin he had ingested to smuggle into the country, Anne Arundel County police said yesterday.

A medical examiner told detectives that it appears one of the capsules of heroin was bulging and could have ruptured in the man's stomach, according to police reports. The cause of death is pending the results of toxicology tests, police said.

Police found the 38-year-old man's body at the Red Carpet Inn on Route 198 after a motel manger called police about a guest who hadn't been seen since checking in three days earlier. Police say they found three capsules filled with 45 grams of heroin and $1,787 cash in the room. Seven capsules also were found in the man's stomach during the autopsy, police said.

The man had entered the United States on May 12, arriving in New Jersey, police said.

Explosive compounds seized in 2 county cases

Anne Arundel County's fire investigators have seized explosive compounds from residents in recent days, fire officials said yesterday.

A 16-year-old Annapolis boy was charged yesterday with detonating a homemade explosive in the parking lot of a condominium complex in the 2000 block of Harbour Gates Drive. Fire investigators found several explosive compounds in the teen-ager's home, said Division Chief John M. Scholz.

The boy, who was charged as a juvenile with manufacturing explosive devices, was being held yesterday at Cheltenham Youth Detention Center in Prince George's County, Scholz said.

In a separate case, county fire investigators found homemade fireworks, packing material and explosive powder and chemicals Friday in the Severn home of a licensed fireworks shooter. Charges against the man are pending a further review by county prosecutors, Scholz said.

Anti-tank round found in Severna Park yard

The state bomb squad removed a 105 mm anti-tank round yesterday from the yard of a Severna Park home.

Robert Fields found the armor-piercing round yesterday morning while clearing brush from around his house, on the 300 block of Balsam Drive. The bomb squad removed it and discovered that it was of a type that did not contain an explosive charge.

The artillery, though still in use by the U.S. military, had rust marks and pitting that suggested it had been buried on the property for decades. "This quite possibly could date from World War II or the Korean War era," said W. Faron Taylor, the deputy state fire marshal.

How it got there remains a mystery, said Taylor, since the nearest military installations are miles away.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.