Weekend violence leaves 5 dead in city

May 20, 2002|By Laura Cadiz | Laura Cadiz,SUN STAFF

The death toll of a violent weekend in Baltimore rose to five early yesterday as an unidentified man was fatally shot in the 200 block of S. Broadway - one of three shootings in different areas of the city within a 30-minute period, police said.

City police would not divulge details of the 2:15 a.m. shooting, and said only that the victim - who appeared to be a Hispanic adult - died shortly after 7 a.m. at Johns Hopkins Hospital. Investigators were attempting to identify him last night.

About 2:20 a.m., David Crews-Harris, 21, of the 700 block of Beaverbrook Road, was shot in the left thigh and right arm in the 500 block of Willow Ave. east of York Road. He was released after being treated at Union Memorial Hospital, police said.

Three people - two men and a 17-year-old male - were shot about 2:45 a.m. in the 1100 block of Hollins St. Reginald White, 31, of the 4700 block of Park Heights Ave. and the youth, who lives on Quantico Avenue, both in Northwest Baltimore, were taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center, while the other man, whose name was not available, went to Bon Secours Hospital for treatment. The wounds were not life-threatening, authorities said.

Saturday's shootings were all on the city's east side, and included an incident in a house in the 1700 block of E. North Ave. that left two dead and two wounded, police said.

Killed were James Armstrong Jr., 25, of the 1700 block of N. Broadway, and a man whose identity was not disclosed. George Jones, 22, of the 400 block of N. Lakewood Ave. and a 17-year-old boy were wounded and taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital.

The youth's wound was not life-threatening, but Jones was in critical condition last night, according to police.

Others killed Saturday were identified as Ervin Peoples, 36, of the 5500 block of Belle Vista Ave., who was shot about 6 p.m. in the 700 block of N. Montford Ave.; and Joseph Roosevelt Harris, 16, of the 3000 block of Frisby St., found shot in head at the intersection of 22nd Street and Homewood Avenue about 10 p.m.

Police reported no arrests in the shootings, all of which remained under investigation.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.