Second-half burst boosts Hereford, 13-9

Win over Glenelg gives Bulls shot to defend title

Class 2A-1A girls lacrosse

High School

May 18, 2002|By Rick Belz | Rick Belz,SUN STAFF

The comfort zone in girls lacrosse is precarious at best.

So when the No. 3-ranked Hereford Bulls jumped on unranked Glenelg by four goals early in a Class 2A-1A state semifinal last night at CCBC-Catonsville, Hereford coach Anne Ensor was anything but relaxed.

And, as her team began struggling with its shots, hitting the posts four times in the first half, Glenelg climbed back into the game, cutting Hereford's lead to two goals by halftime.

The defending state champion Bulls then pulled themselves together in the second half with better shot placement and better performance on the draws, and went on to a 13-9 victory.

Hereford (17-1) will play the winner of today's Francis Scott Key-Arundel game on Tuesday or Wednesday for the state title.

"Glenelg came to play and not to watch the sun go down," Hereford coach Anne Ensor said. "They were very fast and made stuff happen. And they exploited our shooting indecision. Our goalkeeper, Kate Turnbaugh, kept us in the game early."

Hereford led 5-1 with 15 minutes left in the first half behind a three-goal outburst from Chrissy Rude, who finished with five goals and one assist.

Glenelg (14-4) rallied to trail 7-5 at halftime on a pair of goals by senior Lindsay Ricks and goals by freshman Terri Coover and senior Lindsay Lewis.

Coover won 12 of 13 draws in the first half.

"We wanted to play well for the seniors and put all our heart into it," Coover said. "Everyone thought we'd get blown away. So we're real happy with the way we played."

Glenelg pulled within one goal at 9-8 with 13:22 to play. But Hereford scored four of the next five goals to pull away.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.