Segui gets second opinion today

ORIOLES NOTEBOOK

First baseman will decide on having wrist surgery

May 17, 2002|By Joe Christensen | Joe Christensen,SUN STAFF

CLEVELAND - Orioles first baseman David Segui injured his left wrist three weeks ago today, and his availability has been a question on a day-to-day basis ever since.

The Orioles should have a clearer long-term plan for Segui today, after he receives a second opinion about the injury from Dr. Thomas Graham, a Baltimore-based hand specialist who treated Orioles outfielder Jay Gibbons last year.

Orioles manager Mike Hargrove said a final decision will be reached on whether Segui is going to have surgery or play through the injury, which the team's medical staff has diagnosed as cartilage damage and a bruised tendon.

Segui said he has been told if he needs surgery, he will miss six to eight weeks.

"We'll know cut and dried one way or another," Hargrove said.

Segui was not in last night's posted lineup. And though the game against the Cleveland Indians was rained out, he has still missed 11 of the past 17 games. If Segui's final decision is not to have surgery, Hargrove wants him to be able to play on a regular basis.

"I don't think this is something we want to do [all year]," Hargrove said.

Blossoming in May

Orioles center fielder Chris Singleton hit .165 during April, but he is hitting .359 during May. A year ago, when Singleton was with the Chicago White Sox, he had very similar numbers, batting .192 in April and .355 in May.

"I don't know how to explain it," Singleton said. "It's very similar to last year, but I think this year was tougher for me."

Singleton said he feels much more comfortable at the plate, and it shows. He hit his first home run of the season Wednesday night, a 398-foot shot to right-center field off Indians pitcher Bartolo Colon.

"He had four hits in Tampa [Sunday], and they were all on fastballs," Hargrove said. "I like the fact that last night he hit a changeup or a breaking ball. Until recently, I hadn't seen him use a consistent approach to breaking balls. Now it looks like he's staying back and using his hands."

Johnson's progress

Orioles pitcher Jason Johnson, who hasn't pitched since April 20 because of a chipped bone in his middle finger, had another throwing session yesterday.

Hargrove said the plan is to have Johnson make at least two minor-league rehabilitation starts, likely for three and then five innings, before returning from the disabled list.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.