Keeler apologizes for abuse by priests

Cardinal says he regrets restoring Blackwell in '93

Church, police believed Stokes

City archbishop admits `painful breaches of trust'

May 17, 2002|By John Rivera and Sarah Koenig | John Rivera and Sarah Koenig,SUN STAFF

Cardinal William H. Keeler has apologized for the first time to victims of sex abuse by Roman Catholic priests and said he regrets his 1993 decision to return the Rev. Maurice Blackwell to his parish after an abuse allegation.

"I take full responsibility for the decision I made in 1993 given the facts and circumstances before me," the archbishop of Baltimore writes in an opinion piece published in today's editions of The Sun. "In light of what has occurred and of what was revealed in 1998, I would not make the same decision today."

Records of the 1993 case show that church and law enforcement officials believed the alleged victim had been molested. Blackwell was accused of molesting the teen but was never charged.

The Baltimore Archdiocese restored Blackwell to his position as pastor of St. Edward Church after he spent three months at a psychiatric facility for evaluation and treatment. He was removed from the church and suspended indefinitely in 1998 after admitting to a sexual relationship with a minor more than 20 years earlier.

Blackwell remains at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center, recovering from gunshot wounds allegedly inflicted Monday night by Dontee D. Stokes, 26, who said he was molested by the priest in the 1993 case and was enraged because Blackwell never apologized.

Keeler has no plans to apologize personally to Stokes or his family, said Raymond P. Kempisty, the archdiocesan chancellor. But he did offer an apology for times when church leaders failed victims of sexual abuse by priests.

"We know that there have been painful breaches of trust, and have dedicated ourselves to seeking solace for victims and fair punishment for perpetrators, goals which we have pursued but have not always succeeded in achieving, for many years," Keeler wrote. "I apologize for instances in which our efforts have failed."

Keeler acknowledged in the article that the 1993 allegations against Blackwell were credible. He said that the young abuse victim "was offered treatment and counseling, and Father Blackwell was immediately placed on administrative leave and sent away for psychiatric and physical evaluation."

However, Stokes' family has said that he was not offered help.

Keeler noted that there was a "huge outcry" from parishioners at St. Edward, who demanded Blackwell's return. "Our pleas for other accusers to come forward received no response."

Keeler said he relied on the advice of therapists at the Institute of Living in Hartford, Conn., where Blackwell was treated, who said in their report to the archdiocese that Blackwell was not "a danger to young men in a sexually predatory fashion."

Keeler decided to allow Blackwell, who maintained his innocence, to return to St. Edward, under certain conditions. Among them: He would move out of the rectory and live with his mother; he would not participate in ministry with young people; he would continue receiving psychological counseling and would meet regularly with a group of priests for supervision. Parish leaders were informed of the arrangement, and Blackwell was warned that if another incident arose, he would be fired.

Six months later, Keeler's decision to reinstate Blackwell was criticized by an Independent Review Board - composed of Catholic and non-Catholic lay persons - which wrote a letter to the archbishop outlining its position. Keeler defended his actions in a letter and published both, along with other letters supporting Blackwell, in The Catholic Review, the archdiocesan newspaper. Keeler noted that Blackwell was immediately removed once the 1998 allegation surfaced.

David Clohessy, national director of the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAP) in St. Louis, said Keeler's statement was similar to those issued in recent months by other church leaders and that it suffered from the same problem of short-sightedness about the problem.

"I think most Catholics understand that this is not just a one-bad-apple problem at this point," he said. "I think he owes an apology to his review board, whose advice he rejected, and I think the review board should vow to resign publicly if their advice ever is not followed again."

Records in the 1993 case showed that while law enforcement and church officials believed that Stokes had been abused, investigators were unsuccessful in finding enough evidence to build a case that prosecutors thought they could win.

The city state's attorney's office received the case Aug. 9, 1993. On Sept. 24, law enforcement officials met and decided they would not press criminal charges against Blackwell. The decision was approved by then-State's Attorney Stuart O. Simms.

A chronology of the investigation shows investigators talked several times with representatives of the archdiocese, including a bishop, and to Blackwell, who denied having had sexual contact with Stokes, said Margaret T. Burns, spokeswoman for the state's attorney's office.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.