Mt. Hebron feeling right at home with North region title

Vikings top Hammond, head to state semifinals

Class 3A-2A boys lacrosse High Schools

May 16, 2002|By Rick Belz | Rick Belz,SUN STAFF

The home-field advantage paid off for Mount Hebron in the Class 3A-2A North regional boys lacrosse championship yesterday against Hammond.

After Hammond fought back to a 9-9 tie with 6:07 to play, the Vikings' seniors dug down for a little extra and pulled out an 11-9 win.

"Brendan Taylor, Mike Glancey, Jimmy Elliott and I have been on the team since our freshman year, and we weren't going to let anyone beat us in our last game on our home field," said attackman Kurt Nordhoff, who is bound for the University of Delaware.

It was Taylor who finally got the winning goal with 3:23 left that sent the Vikings to the state semifinals for the seventh time. It was his second goal of the fourth quarter.

Joey Mansolillo added a goal with 1:04 left for the final margin.

"After not winning the county title, we needed to win something, so we won the regional," Taylor said. "Our defense played well, and I'm just happy we could get to states."

The Vikings (11-5) will play Catonsville, a 13-7 winner over Franklin, in the state semifinals at 6 p.m. Friday at Annapolis High. The Vikings have won two state titles in 1991 and '99.

Hammond had lost to Mount Hebron during the regular season, 14-13, and was eager for another shot at the Vikings. The Bears posted their best record (13-4) ever, and made it to the region final for the first time.

Unfortunately for Hammond, attackman Kevin Dietsch sprained his ankle in the Bears' regional semifinal win over North Carroll on Tuesday, and he was limping badly yesterday. Dietsch has 73 assists this season, including seven in the previous game against Mount Hebron, but he had no assists yesterday. He did score two goals.

"We knew Hammond was a gritty, gutsy team," said Vikings coach Tom Minard. "There's no quit in them. So we knew it wasn't over at 5-2 at halftime. Give Kevin Dietsch credit for trying to play. It shows what their kids are made of."

Mount Hebron, eliminated by Fallston in the region semifinals last season, played its best defenseman, Matt Fallon, against Dietsch despite the injury.

"[Dietsch] sees the field so well, he's always a threat to pass," said Minard, a first-year Vikings coach.

Minard assigned John Brill to cover Hammond's P.C. Johnsen. Although Johnsen won 10 ground balls and 13 of 19 faceoffs, he scored only one goal and had one assist.

"Brill did a nice job," said Minard. "And our goalkeeper [Will Sepich] cleared well and made nice decisions."

Vikings midfielder Mike Glancey continued to play well, scoring three goals, making one assist and getting 11 ground balls. Ben Bereznay had three goals and two assists.

"The last time we played Hammond it was hot, 90 degrees, and our defense got exhausted," Glancey said. "This time the defense stepped it up. We scored off some fast breaks early, but couldn't keep it going because we weren't taking good enough shots -- hitting the goalkeeper in the chest."

Hammond coach Dave Griffin was happy with his goalie, Joe Wasserkrug, and his defense, especially Jeff Hutcheson, who had 10 ground balls.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.