Seton Keough wins IAAM `B' crown

Gators beat Spalding, 10-3

Oldfields rolls to `C' title

Girls lacrosse

May 12, 2002|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,SUN STAFF

Since losing to Archbishop Spalding early in the season, Seton Keough's girls lacrosse team has come a long way. The Gators defeated two ranked teams in the past three weeks -- St. Mary's and St. Paul's -- and earned their own No. 13 ranking.

Yesterday, the Gators polished off their turnaround season with a second straight Interscholastic Athletic Association of Maryland B Conference championship, overwhelming Spalding, 10-3, at Johns Hopkins' Homewood Field.

The Cavaliers (12-4-1) stalled the Gators' transition offense early, and Lizzy Bayly gave Spalding a 1-0 lead on a free-position shot. But the Gators (14-6) responded by working their set offense for a 4-1 lead by halftime, including two on terrific moves down the middle by Kerry O'Connell.

"I think they figured they couldn't beat us if they had to run with us, so they just wanted to hold on to the ball and make every possession count," said Gators coach P.J. Kesmodel. "... We weren't getting the ball much, so we ran our set offense and then we started getting some transition stuff."

Darby Biggart cut the lead to 4-2 before the Gators reeled off three straight goals, going up 7-2 when Angie Martin scored off a feed from O'Connell with 16:15 to go. The Gators finished with a 24-8 edge in shots.

The Cavaliers, who scored all their goals on free positions, stayed as close as they did mostly due to a fine performance from junior goalie Nikki Schiavone, who made nine saves.

C Conference

Oldfields finished off its second straight season unbeaten in the conference by cruising past Glenelg Country School, 17-7, in the tournament final at Homewood Field.

The champions were practically unstoppable on attack, nailing 17 of 21 shots.

"They caught all the balls that were threaded through the needle and took some tremendous shots," said Glenelg Country coach Paige Walton.

Oldfields (11-3) scored on its last six shots of the first half and broke open a tie game to pull ahead 8-3 by halftime. With 7:11 left in the game, Stephanie Ehrhardt finished off a feed from Kate Dunning to boost the margin to 10 for the first time at 15-5.

Dunning finished with five goals and three assists while Kady McBrearty added six goals and an assist.

The Dragons (10-8) were without top scorer Annie Shippen and Sarah Westervelt. They had to sit out because they each received two yellow cards in the previous game. Still, the Dragons had a big finish to their season, making it to the final after starting out 0-6.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.