J. Royden Stork, 85, who as co-pilot of a B-25 bomber...

Deaths Elsewhere

May 07, 2002

J. Royden Stork, 85, who as co-pilot of a B-25 bomber took part in a daring raid on Tokyo on April 18, 1942, and later became a Hollywood makeup artist, died of a heart attack Thursday at Century City Hospital in California.

The raid, led by Lt. Col. James H. Doolittle, was the first successful American retaliatory strike after Japan's bombing of Pearl Harbor, which brought the United States into World War II. Mr. Stork was co-pilot of the 10th of 16 land-based B-25 bombers to take off from the deck of the USS Hornet -- a feat never before attempted and considered by many a suicide mission for the 80 men aboard.

Flying at tree-top level, Mr. Stork's plane correctly bombed its assigned chemical plant and flew on until, like the others, it ran out of gas over occupied China.

"The 16 planes didn't do much damage, but we sure screwed up their war machine," Mr. Stork told The Boston Herald last month during 60th anniversary observances of the raid. "They had to pull back some of their forces to protect the [Japanese] homeland, and some of their military leaders were so humiliated that they committed suicide."

Not one of Colonel Doolittle's planes was lost to enemy fire. Of the 16, one crash-landed, three were ditched in coastal waters, one landed in Russia and the other 11 in China. Two of the 80 men drowned, and of eight captured, three were executed by Japanese and one died in prison camp.

Mr. Stork was among a dozen or so of the fewer than two dozen members of the Doolittle Raiders Association still living who gathered last month in Columbia, S.C., for the group's 60th anniversary reunion.

After the war, Mr. Stork made his career in Hollywood as a makeup artist for Fox Studios. Among his credits were feature films such as the 1949 Twelve O'Clock High starring Gregory Peck as an officer commanding American pilots in England during the war.

Last year, he was among the veterans who attended the Honolulu premiere of the blockbuster movie Pearl Harbor. He also was one of eight surviving Doolittle Raiders to meet with scriptwriter Randall Wallace, to complain that Colonel Doolittle and the raid were incorrectly depicted in the film.

George Sidney, 85, who directed dozens of musicals when the genre was at its peak and presided over Hollywood's directors guild for 16 years, died in Las Vegas on Sunday from complications of lymphoma.

A one-time child actor whose career took him from the vaudeville stage to decades of success in the studio system, Mr. Sidney directed a string of hits for MGM in the 1940s and 1950s, including Ziegfeld Follies (1946), Annie Get Your Gun (1950), Show Boat (1951) and Kiss Me Kate (1953).

Mr. Sidney worked with such show business greats as Frank Sinatra, Gene Kelly, Tony Curtis, Lana Turner, Dick Van Dyke and Ann-Margret.

Mr. Sidney was president of the Screen Directors Guild from 1951 to 1959, the year before it merged with the Radio and Television Directors Guild to form the Directors Guild of America, and was president of the DGA from 1961 to 1967. In 1998, he was the first recipient of DGA's president's award.

In the 1950s, Mr. Sidney left MGM to work as an independent producer for Columbia, directing Pal Joey with Frank Sinatra and Rita Hayworth, Bye Bye Birdie with Janet Leigh, Mr. Van Dyke and Ann-Margret, and Viva Las Vegas with Elvis Presley.

An innovator in the technique of using animated figures side-by-side with live actors, Mr. Sidney paired Gene Kelly with Jerry the Mouse in Anchors Aweigh. Mr. Sidney financed and founded Hanna-Barbera productions in 1944 and remained president for 10 years.

Norman S. Johnson, 71, a former member of the Securities and Exchange Commission, died Saturday in Utah, the SEC announced in Washington yesterday.

The cause of death was not disclosed, but Mr. Johnson, who lived in Utah, suffered from cancer during his tenure at the SEC from February 1996 to May 2000.

Mr. Johnson, a Republican who had the support of Sen. Orrin G. Hatch, a Utah Republican, was appointed to the commission by President Bill Clinton. He had been a senior partner with the law firm of Van Cott, Bagley, Cornwall & McCarthy.

Mr. Johnson also was an assistant Utah attorney general from 1959 to 1965, and early in his career served as a law clerk to the chief justice of the Utah Supreme Court. He first came to the SEC as a trial attorney in the mid-1960s.

Andrea Lloyd, 26, principal dancer in Jamaica's National Dance Theater Company, was killed in a car accident early Sunday in the Jamaican capital of Kingston, police said.

Ms. Lloyd was killed when her car collided with a police car.

Ms. Lloyd, who was a lawyer, joined the dance company six years ago. She last performed with the troupe April 28 in Kingston as part of the company's 40th anniversary celebration.

Ida Engel, 98, one of the oldest working members of the Screen Actors Guild, died April 1 in Los Angeles.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.