Segui still out with injured left wrist

Orioles list his status as day-to-day, but source on MRI says: `It was bad'

May 05, 2002|By Roch Kubatko | Roch Kubatko,SUN STAFF

David Segui remained out of the Orioles' lineup yesterday because of soreness in his left wrist that required a magnetic resonance imaging test and a cortisone shot early in the morning. The results of the test weren't made available as the Orioles completed a 10-0 victory over the Kansas City Royals, but a team source said, "They found something and it was bad."

Syd Thrift, the Orioles' vice president for baseball operations, said no break was evident in the wrist and Segui might resume playing in a few days. Segui will be reexamined either tomorrow or Tuesday, and the team continues to list his status as day-to-day. He's missed the past two games, and five of eight.

"We don't think it's anything serious right now," Thrift said.

It generally takes two days to determine whether the cortisone shot had a positive effect on the injury, making it almost certain that Segui won't play in today's series finale against the Royals or tomorrow's opener against the Cleveland Indians at Camden Yards.

"We'll see how he does after 48 hours and when he swings a bat," Thrift said.

Segui, who was limited to 82 games last season because of injuries, confirmed that he received the shot, but wouldn't elaborate on the MRI. Club policy prohibits the medical staff from commenting on a player's physical condition.

Earlier in the day, Segui said the wrist "felt a lot better" after he was removed from Friday's lineup. Much of the swelling had gone down, but the hand still was slightly discolored.

The injury occurred April 26 when Royals catcher Brent Mayne pinned Segui's hand with his shin guard while blocking the plate. Segui's momentum kept him moving forward, bending the wrist and forcing him out of the game. He returned four days later and homered Thursday before aggravating the injury on another swing.

Television replays show Segui grimacing as he pulls a fly ball into right-center field. He was written into Friday's lineup against Kansas City left-hander Jeremy Affeldt before manager Mike Hargrove replaced him with Jay Gibbons. The official reason given by the Orioles was "manager's decision."

"I know it bothers him more hitting right-handed," Hargrove said. "He was taking batting practice yesterday and it became evident."

A CAT scan taken in Kansas City apparently didn't show a break in the hamate bone, which would have required surgery to remove. Segui has spoken with Gibbons, who broke the bone last August, to compare the locations of their pain.

"It's in the same area," Segui said.

In the second year of a four-year, $28 million contract, Segui is batting .298 with two homers and 15 RBIs in 23 games. Last season, the Orioles were 38-44 when he played and 25-54 when he didn't. He had surgery in October to remove particles from his left knee.

Asked before yesterday's game about the chances of Segui landing on the disabled list, Hargrove said, "Any kind of injury pretty much is a DL possibility, but I don't think it's going to be." The team will find out if that's true in the next few days.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.