No. 3 St. Mary's beats No. 4 Gilman again

Falatach sets pace, scoring 4 goals to top Greyhounds for 2nd time this year, 8-5

Boys lacrosse

High Schools

May 01, 2002|By Eric Brandner | Eric Brandner,SUN STAFF

If Catholic League lacrosse goalies aren't having nightmares about Scott Falatach, they should be.

The St. Mary's senior attackman scored four goals in the No. 3 Saints' 8-5 victory over No. 4 Gilman.

"We've been doing a better job of moving the ball on offense," Falatach said. "Before, we were kind of one-dimensional."

The teams traded goals twice in the first four minutes of the game. Gilman's Bart Weinstein and Chad Burdette both scored, but Falatach answered with a tally of his own within one minute of each Greyhounds score.

The manic pace didn't last, however, as neither team got on the scoreboard again until St. Mary's attackman Garrett Stanwick drained a shot from the right side of the crease with nine seconds left in the opening quarter.

"Last time was a lot faster paced," said Falatach, referring to the Saints' 15-8 victory over Gilman on April 5. "This time we were a lot more settled."

Gilman long-stick midfielder Chappy Gould found the net late in the second quarter, taking the ball down the middle of the field and beating St. Mary's goalie Colin Finnegan (15 saves) to the lower left corner, getting checked to the ground as he shot.

But once again, the Saints had an answer. Senior attackman Brian Ponne scored the go-ahead goal one minute later, and Falatach completed his hat trick with 37 seconds left in the half, extending the lead to 5-3.

Falatach, who has 58 goals and 87 points on the season, added his final goal of the game 49 seconds into the second half when he cut in from the left side of the cage and shot over his defender. And when St. Mary's Nick Bonacci beat Gilman sophomore goalie Grant Zimmerman four minutes later, it looked like the Saints (10-6) were going to pull away.

However, the Greyhounds (6-6) came back with a spurt of their own, netting two goals in 2:24 to cut the deficit to 7-5.

Gilman's Zach Goldberg made a run down the right sideline and put a shot in the lower left corner of the net. Junior Luke Wilson followed suit, cutting through the defense to receive a pass on the right side of the crease and score his only goal of the contest with 3:01 remaining in the third quarter.

"I think that we had more of a sense of urgency, and we started to go to the goal harder, which is a little late at that point," said Gilman coach David Allan said.

The Greyhounds, who dominated possession late in the third and early in the fourth quarter, had a man advantage with nine minutes left in the game. However, a questionable unsportsmanlike penalty against the Greyhounds' Gentry Fitzpatrick, despite his apologetic protest to the official, halted Gilman's momentum.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.