Student burned by spilled gasoline

Classmate charged in incident at high school

May 01, 2002|By Sheridan Lyons | Sheridan Lyons,SUN STAFF

A South Carroll High School student was burned on his face and arm yesterday when gasoline that had leaked on his shirt in the technology center was ignited, state police said.

Another student has been charged in the incident, police said.

Ryan Robert Branning, 17, of the 7200 block of Patton Drive in Woodbine was taken about 1:40 p.m. to Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center in Baltimore, where he was stable and in fair to good condition with burns and an injury to his shoulder sustained when he fell, police said.

Branning was working on a van's gasoline line on a lift above him when gasoline dripped onto the front of his shirt, police said.

Then, according to witnesses, another student took out a cigarette lighter and lighted it, igniting the gasoline on Branning's shirt, police said.

According to Principal George Phillips, Branning was working on a vehicle in the school's Auto Service Technician classroom about 1:30 p.m., "and it was alleged that another student caused the problem."

Emergency personnel and the police were summoned to the school off Route 26 near Winfield.

The principal did not release the boys' names.

Richard Lee Schroen, 16, of the 1100 block of Longbow Road in Mount Airy was charged as an adult with first- and second-degree assault, reckless endangerment and possession of a dangerous weapon - the lighter - said state police.

He was to appear before a Carroll County District Court commissioner last night.

Police said an investigation is continuing.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.