Eugene V. Chircus, 74, lawyer, hospital official

April 29, 2002

Eugene V. Chircus, a retired Baltimore attorney and member of the board of Northwest Hospital Center in Randallstown, died Saturday from a stroke at Cherrywood Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center in Reisterstown. He was 74.

The longtime Owings Mills resident was born in Chicago and raised on Auchentoroly Terrace near Druid Hill Park. A 1945 graduate of City College, he earned his bachelor's degree from Loyola College and his law degree from the University of Baltimore.

Mr. Chircus, whose specialty was admiralty and health care law, began his legal career in 1954.

He was a partner for years in the law firm of Ginsberg and Chircus, which was downtown in the Court Square Building. In the 1980s, he became a solo practitioner and maintained offices in the Chesapeake Building in Towson until retiring last year.

In 1964, he was elected president of the board of Baltimore County General Hospital in Randallstown.

The hospital, which opened in 1962 as Liberty Court Rehabilitation Center, and changed its name to Baltimore County General Hospital in 1963, has been known as Northwest Hospital Center since 1992. He also served as the hospital's counsel, family members said.

In 1955, Mr. Chircus married Lorraine Feit, who died in 1982.

He was a member of Beth El Congregation.

Services for Mr. Chircus were held Sunday.

Survivors include two sons, Dr. Jeffrey H. Chircus of Scottsdale, Ariz., and Dr. Allan J. Chircus of Owings Mills; a daughter, Marsha S. Vitek of Owings Mills; and seven grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.