Bishop Thomas Grady, 87, who led the Roman Catholic...

Deaths Elsewhere

April 22, 2002

Bishop Thomas Grady, 87, who led the Roman Catholic Diocese of Orlando in a period of extensive growth and change from 1974 to 1988, died yesterday at his home in Altamonte Springs, Fla., after a long illness.

The son of a tough Chicago police captain who twice arrested the gangster Al Capone, Bishop Grady was ordained in 1938. His long career included positions as priest and teacher. For more than a decade, beginning in 1956, he was director of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, the largest Catholic church in the United States and seventh-largest church in the world.

As bishop of Central Florida, he established a Family Life Office, a Pastoral Ministries Program, a program for deacons and a pastoral council for the diocese -- all increasing the role of lay Catholics, in worship and in helping run the diocese.

He also was credited with reaching out to Central Florida's Catholic newcomers. Ministries serving migrants, immigrants and minorities -- primarily the Spanish-speaking, African-American, Haitian and Vietnamese communities -- were expanded during his tenure.

Bishop Grady was a founder of the Negro Spiritual Scholarship Foundation, a scholarship program awarding college tuition assistance to African-American students while preserving a tradition of the singing of Negro spirituals.

Col. William E. Barber, 82, a Korean War hero, career military officer and Medal of Honor recipient, died Friday in Irvine, Calif., of bone marrow cancer.

Colonel Barber is best-known for his heroism in one of the worst defeats in Marine Corps history, the Battle of the Chosin Reservoir in 1950, when he was a captain. Captain Barber's Fox Company was outnumbered by a ratio of more than 5-1 at the reservoir south of the Yalu River, which separates North Korea from China.

In the weeks before Thanksgiving, about 120,000 Chinese crossed the Yalu River into North Korea. Captain Barber was hit by a bullet that fractured a bone near his groin.

Commanding his men from a stretcher, Captain Barber refused to obey orders to leave a hill. He believed retreating would trap about 8,000 nearby Marines.

After five days and six nights of battle, more than 1,000 enemy troops were dead. Finally, Ray Davis, who later became a general, overwhelmed the Chinese with his Marines and was face to face with Captain Barber. The two men were so choked up that neither could speak, General Davis later recalled.

Colonel Barber earned the Medal of Honor partially for his decision to disobey the retreat order.

Born in West Liberty, Ky., Colonel Barber attended what was then Morehead State College in Kentucky and enlisted in the Marines in 1940. His many awards include two Purple Hearts, the Silver Star for bravery, three Presidential Unit Citations and the Legion of Merit.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.