Rodgers, No. 2 Loyola run past Gilman, 10-5

He riddles No. 7 'Hounds with hat trick, two assists

Boys lacrosse

High schools

April 20, 2002|By Eric Brandner | Eric Brandner,SUN STAFF

Neither weather nor No. 7 Gilman's defense could stop senior Austin Rodgers yesterday.

The attackman scored three goals and assisted on two others under threatening skies in No. 2 Loyola's 10-5 win at Gilman.

"I think it was a matter of what kind of pace was established in the game," Loyola coach John Tucker said. "I think they wanted to play slower and we wanted to play faster and I think we were able to play fast at times. I think that was probably the difference."

While the Dons doubled the Greyhounds' scoring total, it wasn't because Gilman lacked opportunities.

"We had the shots and we just couldn't score," Gilman coach Dave Allan said. "And that's really frustrating. It frustrates the kids and it certainly frustrates the coaches."

Gilman (4-5) held a 29-27 advantage in shots on goal, but many of their offerings either missed the cage or ended up in the stick of Loyola senior goalkeeper Ben Yingling (12 saves).

"Ben Yingling played great today," Tucker said. "It could have been different if Ben hadn't made some very big saves."

Gilman attackman Luke Wilson opened the scoring, but the Dons scored three straight, including Rodgers' first, before the game was suspended because of lightning with 21 seconds left in the first period.

Loyola (10-2) stayed in control when the game resumed 40 minutes later. The teams exchanged single goals before the Dons went on a three-goal run. Junior midfielder Chase Gahan beat Gilman goalkeeper Rob Hamilton on a bounce shot with 4:46 left in the half to put the Dons up 5-2. Hamilton was called for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty after Emrys Darrell's goal with 2:09 left in the half. Hamilton was then benched and sophomore Grant Zimmerman surrendered the Dons' final tally of the half when Casey Mulford hooked up with Rodgers to make the score 7-2.

The Greyhounds struck early in the second half when senior attackman Clark Finney beat Yingling low.

But just when the Greyhounds seemed to be finding some cohesion on offense, the Dons used some big hits to force a turnover at midfield. Loyola sophomore attackman Ben Rubeor scored his second goal of the game a minute later, extending the lead to 8-3.

Finney found a Chad Burdette on the right side of the net to cut the lead to four. However, Rodgers completed his hat trick moments later.

Gilman had several looks in the final minutes but didn't connect until Edward Douglas scored the game's final goal with 3:22 left.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.