City man, 18, gets life plus 30 years in shooting death

Boy, 17, was slain, friend injured in Northeast area

April 09, 2002|By Laurie Willis | Laurie Willis,SUN STAFF

A Baltimore man was sentenced to life in prison plus 30 years yesterday in the fatal shooting in May of David Allen "D.J." Greene, 17, and the attempted murder of another teen-ager.

Lando Nesbitt Alston, 18, was sentenced by Circuit Judge John N. Prevas yesterday after Alston's mother and sisters pleaded for leniency and Greene's relatives talked about their loss.

"It has been very difficult emotionally," Cynthia Greene testified of her son's death. "I'm suffering from insomnia. He was my only son and my youngest child. My son was no angel, but he was my miracle. He wanted to be a professional ballplayer, and he was trying to get a scholarship. He'll never have that opportunity."

Terra Greene testified that she never imagined she'd bury her baby brother.

"When I first got the phone call, I thought it was a joke," Terra Greene said. "I thought it was a bad dream. How could anyone take my closest friend? I felt my life had stopped. I ask God why."

One of Greene's relatives asked Prevas to impose life without the possibility of parole. Alston's family pleaded for a lighter sentence.

His mother, Jacqueline Alston, testified that her son grew up without a father and that she worked nights because she couldn't afford day care.

"It hurts me what happened to you," Alston said, looking toward Greene's 15 family members. "It hurts me when this happens to anybody. I pray that the court will have leniency with my son because I cannot give your family back the family member you lost."

As she rose, Alston, 61, told her son she loved him.

Her daughters, Angela Pryor, 41, and Leatres Ushry, 36, also testified, offering condolences to Greene's family. Pryor said her brother wasn't guilty of the crimes.

"I sit here and I see my baby brother on trial. ... I know that he was with me at that time, and I just say I'm sorry for your great loss," Pryor said. "My brother may not be showing the expression the family would like to see. ... He didn't do it."

According to police accounts, Greene and Reginald McKeever, 16, were outside an apartment building in the 6000 block of Amberwood Road in Northeast Baltimore on May 27 when Alston walked by. After Alston exchanged "hard looks" with the men, he used a shotgun to fatally wound Greene and to shoot McKeever in the right hand, police said.

After the shootings, Greene ran inside the apartment building and Alston ran to a gas station in the 6000 block of Moravia Road. Greene was later pronounced dead at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center. Alston was arrested 12 days later and charged with first-degree murder and attempted second-degree murder.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.