Two late scores propel Gilman past Calvert Hall

Goal by Klimpt wins it for No. 10 Greyhounds, 9-8

Boys lacrosse

April 03, 2002|By Eric Brandner | Eric Brandner,SUN STAFF

Gilman's Carl Klimpt's lone goal yesterday may have been the biggest of his high school career.

His score with 2:41 remaining proved to be the game-winner, lifting the visiting 10th-ranked Greyhounds over No. 7 Calvert Hall, 9-8, in a Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference matchup.

"We're young and trying to find our way a little bit and kids stepped up for us," said Gilman coach David Allan. "Danny Ro came down and had a big goal and Carl Klimpt had a huge goal. You don't know who it's going to be. They're just stepping up and playing."

Ro tied the game at 8 when he took the ball the length of the field and scored into the upper-right corner past Cardinals goaltender Michael Kruger with 4:56 left. Klimpt scored the deciding goal two minutes later.

"I was just trying to draw a double team," Klimpt said. "I got the matchup with the short stick ... and I just kinda flung it."

Calvert Hall's Nick Williams (three goals) opened the scoring two minutes into the game when senior attackman Ben Wolff found him wide open on the left side of the net.

Gilman's Luke Wilson answered three minutes later, but it was the Greyhounds' only score of the quarter, despite dominating the time of possession.

"The thing that we kept telling the kids at that point is that we were getting our shots but we weren't canning them," Allan said. "[We told them] just don't panic because we're going to get our shots and they're going to sink. I thought they listened and we did that well."

Calvert Hall (6-2) took advantage of Gilman's errant shooting, scoring three goals in a 1:05 span near the end of the first half. Williams scored two and junior Matt Eckerl added the third to give the Cardinals a 5-2 lead.

Senior attackman Clark Finney, one of seven goal scorers for the Greyhounds, stopped the surge with his only goal of the game just 13 seconds later. Calvert Hall's Mike Edwards and Gilman's Bart Weinstein exchanged goals before the half ended, giving the Cardinals a 6-4 edge.

However, the Greyhounds wiped away any momentum the Cardinals had when the teams came back for the third quarter.

"We needed a lift and I looked at the scoreboard and thought, `we're better than this team,' " Wilson said. "When we were in extra man we were going to run a play, but I was open so I decided to rip one and it fell for me."

Senior midfielder Chappy Gould started a fast break that Wilson finished with a goal at the 8:15 mark in the third quarter to tie the game at 6.

The Cardinals were able to come back and take an 8-7 lead with 9:52 left in the fourth quarter on Kevin Huntley's second goal of the game. However, they didn't get many good scoring opportunities the rest of the way.

The Greyhounds outshot the Cardinals 34-27.

"We don't know where we fit into all of this," Allan said. "We just are trying to improve every day."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.