No. 9 St. Mary's controls Annapolis for title, 8-3

Down 2-0, Saints reel off eight consecutive goals

High Schools

Girls lacrosse

March 24, 2002|By Nathan Max | Nathan Max,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

As the ninth-ranked St. Mary's girls lacrosse team gathered around its championship trophy following its convincing 8-3 victory over No. 10 Annapolis last night in the finals of Annapolis Invitational Tournament, the message passed around the huddle was clear: This is only the beginning.

"We're expecting so many things out of this team this year," said junior Mary Key, who registered three assists. "We knew that this game was going to be so big. After yesterday [10-8 overtime semifinal victory over Broadneck], we were so pumped. We got ourselves ready for that game, but we knew that this was even bigger. We hadn't gotten to Annapolis the last two years, and we wanted to beat them."

With the victory, the Saints won for the third consecutive day - second straight time over a ranked opponent - to improve to 3-0. It took some time for St. Mary's to get started, however, as Annapolis junior attack Kelsey Mays scored two goals in the opening 5:06 to give the Panthers (1-1) the lead.

The Saints did not score until 15:44 remained in the first half, but when they finally did, the floodgates opened. Seven players accounted for eight unanswered goals, and the Saints' defense held Annapolis scoreless for more than 44 minutes. The Panthers did not score again until less than one minute remained in the game.

St. Mary's junior midfielder Julie Gladchuk scored two goals and senior midfielder Brooke Dieringer had a goal and an assist. Jaimee Motley, Brittany Fox, and Tiffany Venuto, sophomore attack Jenna Hubbard and senior attack Ashley Stanwick all added one goal.

For Annapolis, junior midfielder Michelle DeChant scored in the waning seconds on a free-position advantage.

"It was a collective effort," St. Mary's coach Erika Bristow said. "Not one person played better than another today. They played as a total team.

"The first 14 minutes, we were a little nervous and got caught up in the momentum of the game, which was being played at their speed. Finally, we slowed it down and started playing our game."

Said Annapolis coach Dave Gehrdes: "It's early. If we were in midseason form, I'd say, `Uh oh.' But this is only the second game of the season, and we're playing one of the top teams in the area. So what the heck. I thought we did fairly well."

C. Milton Wright 12, Broadneck 11: Mustangs senior attack Kelley Duncan scored four goals -including the game-winner with 39 seconds remaining - and added two assists to spark Wright to an upset victory over the fifth-ranked Bruins in the consolation game.

Two times Broadneck (0-2) erased three-goal deficits. Led by sophomore midfielder Allie Johnson (four goals, one assist), the Bruins scored three unanswered goals in a 2:24 stretch to tie the game at 11 with 2:18 to play. Wright (1-2) also led 6-3 in the first half before Broadneck reeled off four of the next five goals to tie the game by halftime.

"This team's amazing," Duncan said. "We're going to take it to states. We're going to go all the way. We've got it. Every girl on this team's got legs, we're fast and we're awesome. I'm proud of these girls."

Wright senior midfielder Alison Smith scored three goals.

Senior midfielder Brooke Richards and senior attack Kate Scott each had two goals and two assists for Broadneck.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.