Falatach's seven goals lift Saints to 11-8 win

He equals career high as No. 3 St. Paul's falls

Boys lacrosse

High School

March 22, 2002|By Nathan Max | Nathan Max,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

St. Mary's senior attack Scott Falatach lived up to the hype in the fifth-ranked Saints' season opener yesterday afternoon. Then he raised the bar a little bit higher.

Falatach matched a career high by scoring seven goals to lead visiting St. Mary's to an 11-8 victory over No. 3 St. Paul's in a Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference game.

Falatach, who has signed to play lacrosse at the University of North Carolina, demonstrated remarkable stick control, while his wide range of jukes, fakes and spins gave Crusaders defenders fits.

FOR THE RECORD - The spelling of St. Paul's coach Mitch Whiteley's name has been corrected for the database. See microfilm for original story.

Twice he slipped by two defensemen to score; and on one occasion Falatach caused two St. Paul's defenders to collide and knock each other over, although he was whistled for warding off.

"I was just using my speed to get top-side on the defensemen, and my shot was on today," said Falatach, who also added an assist. "If our offense can click, it doesn't really matter if I score seven. As long as our offense scores 11."

Other multiple-point players for St. Mary's were senior midfielder James Hyland (two goals) and junior attack Nick Bonacci (one goal, one assist). Senior attack Brian Ponne added a goal and midfielders Connor Blemly and Will Dalton both had one assist.

For St. Paul's (2-1, 0-1 MIAA), junior David Cornbrooks scored three goals, senior midfielder Brent Hargest had two goals, senior midfielder Ed Boyd had a goal and two assists and senior attack Sean Link added a goal and an assist. Junior attack Alex Salihi also scored and senior attack D.J. Andrzejewski registered an assist.

Leading 7-5 at halftime, the Saints dominated the third quarter. St. Mary's registered the first 11 shots of the period and scored three unanswered goals in the opening 4:46 to move ahead 10-5.

Falatach scored twice in that span, including a brilliant goal in which he faked out two defensemen for the second time to put St. Mary's up 9-5. That goal came 18 seconds after Bonacci had scored to open the third. Falatach had earlier gone around two defensemen with 43 seconds to play in the half to put St. Mary's up 7-5.

"He was all over the place," St. Paul's coach Mitch Whiteley said. "We just didn't do a good job defensively. We weren't sliding when we should've been, and we were when we shouldn't have been. Our inexperience really showed."

St. Paul's mounted a furious rally in the fourth quarter, outshooting St. Mary's 17-4 over the final 12 minutes. But St. Mary's senior goalie Colin Finnegan shut the door on the Crusaders, making eight of his 15 saves in the fourth quarter.

"The seniors played well, and senior leadership is what we're looking for," St. Mary's coach Mike Burnett said. "We've got quite a few kids back from last year's team. [Finnegan] played well, and he was a senior who didn't play last year. I was really proud of the seniors."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.