Woman hurt in house fire that began when she fell asleep while smoking

March 15, 2002|BY A SUN STAFF WRITER

A 75-year-old Manchester woman was injured last night in a house fire that started when she fell asleep while smoking.

The fire broke out at the home of Ruth Ada Simmons of the 3300 block of Meadowview Drive, according to Ted Meminger, deputy chief of the Maryland fire marshal's office.

Simmons tried to extinguish the fire but fled outdoors when she was unable to do so.

The fire might have been aggravated by bottled oxygen, investigators said. Neighbors found Simmons in her driveway and called 911 about 9 p.m.

By the time volunteer firefighters from Lineboro, Manchester, Hampstead, Westminster and two companies in Pennsylvania arrived, the fire was well-established, Meminger said.

Simmons was taken to Carroll County General Hospital, where she was treated for minor burns and was in stable condition yesterday. The fire caused about $100,000 in damage.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.