PG County team again haunts River Hill

Gwynn Park adds to hex as Hawks lose, 58-49, in 3A East quarterfinals

Girls basketball

February 26, 2002|By Nathan Max | Nathan Max,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

The curse of Prince George's County has struck the ninth-ranked River Hill girls basketball team again.

In the past four years, four different Prince George's schools have ended the Lady Hawks' season in the regional tournament. Last night, second-seeded Gwynn Park did the honors, as senior forward Charmaine Carr scored 15 points and grabbed a game-high 18 rebounds to lead the visiting Yellow Jackets to a 58-49 victory in a Class 3A East Regional quarterfinal in Clarksville.

The Yellow Jackets (21-2), who have won 10 of their past 11 and are ranked No. 5 by The Washington Post, will play host to Severna Park in the semifinals.

Last season, River Hill fell to Bladensburg in the regional final; two years ago, an undefeated Hawks team lost to DuVal in the regional final; and in 1999, River Hill lost to Central.

"The 3A East just always seems to be filled with top-notch schools," said River Hill coach Teresa Waters. "The difference with these kids in PG County is they play strictly basketball, and all year for the most part. And a lot of us don't."

Four River Hill players scored in doubles figures. Sophomore guard Ashley Thomas had a team-high 12 points and five steals, while junior guard Laura Hostetler, junior forward Megan Buescher and junior guard Meredith Brooks each added 10 points.

For Gwynn Park, sophomore Markeya Watson had 15 points and seven rebounds, senior Danielle Evans scored 10 points and senior Kara Arrington added seven points and 11 rebounds.

Gywnn Park's big advantage came on the boards, where it out-rebounded River Hill 42-26. Arrington and Carr, who is bound for the University of Maryland, combined for 29 rebounds.

"I think we were getting a lot of cheap fouls called on us, so we all were in foul trouble and couldn't really do anything about it," Buescher said.

"That and we didn't box out well on foul shots. We put them on the line a lot, they missed them and then they would just get the rebound and put it back up."

The Yellow Jackets raced to a 17-3 lead as they hit seven of their first 11 shots and River Hill (16-8) missed six of its first seven. Gwynn Park widened the margin to 24-7 after Watson converted a layup with 7:33 left in the half.

Responding with a 13-0 run, River Hill closed within four points, and later came within 27-24 late in the half. But the Yellow Jackets gradually extended the lead in the second half, and a 7-0 fourth-quarter run gave them a 54-40 lead with 2:56 remaining.

"I think we came out really scared, and the second half we just rushed every shot," Buescher said. "We should've taken time on our shots and boxed out a lot better. People panicked and just started throwing stuff up."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.