Dr. John E. Savage, 94, a founder of GBMC Dr. John E...

February 15, 2002

Dr. John E. Savage, 94, a founder of GBMC

Dr. John E. Savage, a retired obstetrician who was a founder of Towson's Greater Baltimore Medical Center, died Saturday at Walker Methodist Health Care Center in Minneapolis of complications from a fall. He was 94.

Dr. Savage was GBMC's first chief of obstetrics, a post he held from 1965, when the hospital opened, until 1973. He was the hospital's chief of staff from 1965 to 1968.

He also was chief of staff at the old Hospital for the Women of Maryland on Bolton Hill's Lafayette Avenue from 1958 to 1965 and its chief of obstetrics there from 1949 to 1965. He had an office in the Medical Arts Building in downtown Baltimore and later practiced in Timonium.

In 1958, he was elected president of the old Maryland Medical Service, which administered Blue Shield. He was president of the American Association of Obstetricians and Gynecologists in 1967.

Born in Philadelphia and raised in Washington, he was a 1928 graduate of the University of Maryland, College Park, and a member of its School of Medicine's Class of 1932.

During World War II, he served stateside in the Army Medical Corps, attaining the rank of major.

Dr. Savage had lived in Towson and Cambridge before moving in the late 1970s to Fort Pierce, Fla.

His wife of 57 years, the former Louise Townsend, died in 1990.

A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. today at the Church of St. Stephen the Martyr in Edina, Minn.

He is survived by a daughter, Caroline S. Wanstall of Edina; four grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren. A son, John E. "Ted" Savage Jr., died in 1992.

Maurice S. Bozel Sr., 68, head of trucking company

Maurice S. "Moe" Bozel Sr., board chairman and former president of R.W. Bozel Transfer Inc., died of respiratory failure Feb. 8 at his Lutherville home. He was 68.

Born and raised in Hamilton, he earned a bachelor's degree in business in 1955 from Loyola College and served in the Army before joining the family trucking business.

Founded by his father in 1919 and specializing in perishable goods, the company and its affiliate, Bozel Enterprises, based in Halethorpe, operates 150 tractors and trailers throughout the nation.

Mr. Bozel stepped down as president in 1993 but remained as chairman of the board. "He was extremely proud that we were the oldest refrigerated carrier in Maryland and one of the oldest in the United States," said a son, Patrick B. Bozel, company president.

Mr. Bozel was a past president of the Maryland Motor Truck Association and the Traffic Club of Baltimore. His philanthropic interests included Loyola College and St. Agnes HealthCare, which presented him with its Dougherty Award last year in recognition of his longtime support.

Mr. Bozel enjoyed golfing and entertaining friends at an annual February "Beat the Blahs" gathering at Snyder's Willow Grove restaurant in Linthicum.

He was a member of Nativity of Our Lord Jesus Christ Roman Catholic Church in Timonium, where a Mass of Christian burial was offered Wednesday.

He is also survived by his wife of 43 years, the former Mary Joan Morrison; four other sons, Richard W. Bozel of Sparks, Maurice S. Bozel Jr. of Glyndon, Jeffrey B. Bozel of Hunt Valley and Christopher J. Bozel of Baltimore; two brothers, Richard A. Bozel of Palm Coast, Fla., and Monsignor Robert A. Bozel of Towson; three sisters, Ann Delaney of Jacksonville, Fla., and Sisters Rita Bozel and Mary Ann Bozel, nuns in the order of Daughters of Charity in Emmitsburg; and 15 grandchildren.

John Milton McCall Jr., 78, president of coal company

John Milton McCall Jr., retired president of Jno. McCall Coal Co. and an avid golfer, died Saturday of cancer at St. Joseph Medical Center. He was 78.

The former longtime Brooklandville resident who lived at Blakehurst Life Care Community in Towson since 2000, joined Jno. McCall Coal Co. in 1952. It had been founded by his father in 1928.

The company, which had been one of the nation's largest coal exporters and shippers through the port of Baltimore and the city's fourth-largest privately held corporation, closed after entering bankruptcy in 1990.

Mr. McCall, who retired in 1990, was born and raised in Hamilton. A graduate of Polytechnic Institute, he was attending Virginia Military Institute when he enlisted in the Army Air Corps during World War II.

A B-24 pilot, he was assigned to the 8th Air Force in England, flying many missions over Germany. He was discharged with the rank of lieutenant in 1945.

That year, he married Elizabeth Dwyer, who survives him.

He earned his bachelor's degree in business from the Johns Hopkins University in 1948.

Mr. McCall, who enjoyed golfing, was a member of Baltimore Country Club. He also liked vacationing at a second home in Hilton Head, S.C.

He was a member of Episcopal Church of the Redeemer, 5603 N. Charles St., where a memorial service will be held at 4 p.m. today.

In addition to his wife, survivors include two daughters, Patricia McCall Lehr of Lutherville and Joanne McCall Bosley of Harwood; and four grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.