Dukes' free throws shoot Morgan by Howard, 66-64

His 5 shots in last :24 give Bears 2nd win of season


February 10, 2002|By Rich Scherr | Rich Scherr,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

At the tail end of a season of adversity, Morgan State guard Randy Dukes said he craved the opportunity to hit a game-winning shot.

Last night against visiting Howard, the junior made five.

With the Bears down by one, Dukes hit five straight free throws in the final 24 seconds to lift Morgan men's basketball team to a 66-64 win over the Bison before 1,257 at Hill Field House.

"That was my dream," said Dukes, who finished with 20 points. "I was hoping he was going to foul me. I knew I was going to the line to win it. We've found so many ways to lose games; that was our chance to win one."

Despite failing to hit a field goal for the final 7:24, the Bears (2-19, 2-11 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) broke a home losing streak that dated to last February. They also emerged from last place in the MEAC after Coppin State's loss to Delaware State earlier in the day.

"We did basically all the right things down the stretch," Morgan coach Butch Beard said. "We came up with some big plays, getting some loose balls and long rebounds, and made our free throws. We've been in quite a few games like this - we just haven't found a way to win them. Tonight, we found a way."

The Bears, who had led by eight before allowing a 9-0 Howard run late in the second half, regained the lead for good when Dukes was fouled while shooting from beyond the three-point line and sank all three foul shots with 24 seconds left.

After Jonathan Stokes' three-point attempt missed, Morgan extended its lead to 66-62 when Dukes made two more foul shots with six seconds left.

Howard got within two on Aki Thomas' layup, but, after Cedrick Barrow missed the front end of a one-and-one with two seconds left, the Bison couldn't get off a final shot.

"We had our chances to win and we didn't," Howard coach Frankie Allen said. "We didn't execute down the stretch."

Reggie Winkfield also scored 15 and Brandon Reece 14 for the Bears, who shot 50 percent.

"I'm hoping it means something to us because I've been trying to point toward the tournament," Beard said.

Aki Thomas led Howard (12-10, 7-5) with 20.

Morgan looked sharp early. Leading 12-10, the Bears used a 9-1 run, highlighted by Brandon Reece's three-point play, to build a 21-11 lead. Minutes later, consecutive jumpers by Curtis King, Reggie Winkfield and King gave the hosts a 27-16 lead.

The remainder of the half, however, belong to the Bison.

After turning up its intensity on defense, the Washington team forced four quick turnovers. Howard cut the lead to three on consecutive three-pointers by Darren Kennedy. The Bison took its first lead, 29-27, on Williams' follow-up, and took a 31-29 advantage into the break.

HOWARD-Williams 7-13 0-4 16, Williamson 2-8 0-0 5, Kennedy 4-9 3-4 14, Grove 0-1 1-2 1, Thomas 9-20 2-5 20, Goodrich 2-2 1-2 6, Stokes 1-5 0-0 2, Radford 0-0 0-0 0, Aluko 0-0 0-0 0, Terry 0-0 0-0 0, Miller 0-0 0-0 0. Totals 25-58 7-17 64. MORGAN STATE-Winkfield 6-12 0-0 15, Barrow 1-4 1-3 3, Dukes 6-12 5-5 20, King 3-7 0-0 6, Andrews 3-3 0-1 6, Grandy 0-0 0-0 0, McNeil 1-4 0-0 2, Stallings 0-2 0-0 0, Reece 6-8 2-2 14, Scott 0-0 0-0 0, Fisher 0-0 0-0 0, Snipes 0-0 0-1 0, Ward 0-0 0-0 0. Totals 26-52 8-12 66.

Halftime-Howard 31-29. 3-point goals-Howard 7-16 (Kennedy 3-5, Williams 2-6, Goodrich 1-1, Williamson 1-3, Williams 0-4), Morgan State 6-13 (Dukes 3-6, Winkfield 3-6, Barrow 0-1). Fouled out-none. Rebounds-Howard 34 (Thomas 9), Morgan State 33 (King 9). Assists-Howard 5 (Kennedy 2), Morgan State 11 (Barrow 5). Total Fouls-Howard 17, Morgan State 19. A- 1,257.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.