Police cast net for teen

Tyrone Beane, 17, sought in connection with two homicides

Called city's `most wanted'

February 02, 2002|By Del Quentin Wilber | Del Quentin Wilber,SUN STAFF

A 17-year-old boy, already wanted on murder charges, was charged yesterday in an arrest warrant with fatally shooting an East Baltimore man last month - while free on bail on handgun charges, police said.

Tyrone Beane, called the city's "most wanted" fugitive by a top police official, is considered armed and dangerous.

Yesterday, he was charged with first-degree murder in the Jan. 17 shooting death of Taharka McCoy, 25, police said.

Police are also seeking Beane on an arrest warrant issued last month charging him with the killing of a 17-year-old boy and the wounding of a 22-year-old man in July on an East Baltimore street.

"He's committed two very serious acts of violence," said Col. Robert M. Stanton, commander of the criminal investigation division of the Baltimore police. "It's imperative that we get this guy in custody."

Beane is the only person in Baltimore wanted in two separate homicides, Stanton said, making him the department's "No. 1" wanted suspect.

Beane, of the 700 block of Wharton Court in East Baltimore, has been arrested several times on adult charges.

In November 2000, he and two other young men were accused by police of forcing a couple out of their apartment and using it to stash and sell drugs, court records show.

Beane was also accused of attacking and "stomping" on the woman who lived in the apartment. She was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital, court records show.

Police say they recovered cocaine and marijuana from the apartment and charged Beane with assault, and possessing with intending to distribute drugs. He was released on bail.

Five months later, Beane was spotted in the 600 block of Aisquith St. by undercover detectives, who noticed that Beane had a bulge in his coat, court records show.

Police searched him and found an Intertec 9 mm semiautomatic handgun and 11 bullets tied with a string that hung around Beane's neck, records show.

Beane told the officers that he did not own the gun or the bullets, records show. He was charged with illegal possession of a gun and released on $4,500 bail.

In May, prosecutors dropped the handgun charge because police determined the weapon did not work, officials said. The assault and drug charges also were dropped in Circuit Court but were filed again in juvenile court, officials said. Prosecutors have been seeking to move the case back to adult court since the summer, said Marty Burns, a spokeswoman for the state's attorney's office.

The first homicide Beane is charged in occurred July 25, when two young men were shot in East Baltimore about 10:30 p.m. in the 1600 block of E. Madison St., police said. Christopher Smith, 17, died at Johns Hopkins Hospital. Vernon Higgs, 22, was wounded.

On Dec. 31, Beane was arrested and charged with assault and handgun possession in the beating of a 39-year-old East Baltimore man. Police arrested Beane several blocks away but did not recover a gun. Beane was released on bail.

On Jan. 17, McCoy, of the 800 block of Homestead St., was shot twice in the chest while standing in the 1200 block of Peachleaf Court in East Baltimore, police said. McCoy later died at Johns Hopkins Hospital. On Jan. 22, police obtained a warrant charging Beane in the July shooting.

Anyone with information about Beane's whereabouts is urged to call 911 or detectives at the Warrant Apprehension Task Force at 410-637-8970. Metro Crime Stoppers, 410-276-8888, is offering a reward up to $2,000 for tips leading to his arrest and indictment.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.