James Byron Cooper Sr., 69, Beth Steel manager James...

Deaths Elsewhere

January 28, 2002

James Byron Cooper Sr., 69, Beth Steel manager

James Byron Cooper Sr., a retired Bethlehem Steel Corp. manager, died Thursday of prostate cancer at Gilchrist Center for Hospice Care in Towson. The Bel Air resident was 69 and had lived in Harford County since 1970.

Born in Lewes, Del., he graduated from Lewes High School, where he won distinction as the school's first all-state football player. He attended the University of Richmond for one year on a full football scholarship, but transferred to the University of Delaware a year later to major in chemical engineering and to play as linebacker for the Blue Hens.

He served two years in the ROTC at Fort Devens, Mass., and was discharged from the Army as a first lieutenant in 1959.

He began a 36-year career with Bethlehem Steel Corp. when he was hired as one of 20 chemical engineers brought into the company's prestigious Loop Program for management training. When he retired from the Sparrows Point plant in 1991, he was the company's quality assurance manager of primary facilities.

A member of Bel Air United Methodist Church, he was an avid runner and walker, loved to read and watch sports and was fond of launching home improvement projects.

Services will be held at 10 a.m. tomorrow at Bel Air United Methodist Church, 21 Linwood Ave., with burial at 3 p.m. at Bethel United Methodist Cemetery in Lewes, Del.

He is survived by his wife of 48 years, Phyllis Johnson Cooper; sons James B. Cooper of Bel Air and Gary L. Cooper of Newburgh, N.Y.; daughters Valerie L. Cooper of Ellicott City and Jennifer Cooper Keller of Mount Airy; and 10 grandchildren.

Benjamin Sparks Todd, 78, helped run family farm

Benjamin Sparks Todd, who helped run a family vegetable farm called Todd Brothers Inc., first in Baltimore County and later in Ruthsburg, died of congestive heart failure Wednesday at Memorial Hospital at Easton. He was 78.

Born in Baltimore, he graduated from Sparrows Point High School in Baltimore County and attended Randolph Macon Academy until he joined the Navy.

He served as a quartermaster in the Atlantic and Pacific on the USS Whipple during World War II. He returned home to work on the family vegetable farm in Baltimore County. The family moved the farming operation to Ruthsburg in 1966.

Mr. Todd was a member of St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Queen Anne's County Farm Bureau, Queen Anne's Historical Society, Ruthsburg Community Club, Easton Navy League and Veterans of Foreign Wars.

A private burial will be today at Todd's Inheritance, Oak Lawn Cemetery, Baltimore.

He is survived by his wife of 53 years, Jean Blackman Todd; sons Thomas B. Todd of Queen Anne and A. Philip Todd of Stevensville; a brother, A. Morris Todd Jr. of Towson; and two grandchildren.

Memorial donations may be made to Friends of Todd's Inheritance or Queen Anne Volunteer Fire Company.

Rachel Bunn, 73, school crossing guard

Rachel Bunn, a homemaker and former Anne Arundel County public schools crossing guard, died Thursday of a heart attack at Stella Maris Hospice at Mercy Medical Center. She was 73.

The longtime Pumphrey resident, who had lived in Pasadena since 1999, had worked as a school crossing guard during the 1970s at Pumphrey Elementary School.

Rachel Roberson was born and raised in Rocky Mount, N.C., where she graduated from high school. She was married to Elias Bunn in 1946, and moved to Baltimore that year.

For more than 50 years, she was a member of Community Baptist Church, where she participated on the usher board.

She enjoyed sewing, arts and crafts, and cooking.

Services will be held at 11 a.m. today at Community Baptist Church, 5912 Belle Grove Road, Pumphrey.

In addition to her husband, she is survived by three sons, Alvin Bunn of Baltimore, Kenneth Bunn of Catonsville and Phillip Bunn of Pasadena; two sisters, Erma Jean Stokes of Rocky Mount and Maddie May Roberson of Washington; and a stepgrandson.


John Young, 85, a former U.S. representative who was in the Dallas motorcade carrying President John F. Kennedy when he was assassinated in 1963, died Tuesday in Virginia.

A Corpus Christi, Texas, native, Mr. Young served as a representative for 22 years, until he was defeated in the 1978 Democratic primary. He later practiced law and worked as a lobbyist.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.