Francis W. Wallace, 81, Western Electric supervisor...

January 27, 2002

Francis W. Wallace, 81, Western Electric supervisor

Francis W. Wallace, a retired Western Electric Co. supervisor and assistant state adjutant of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, died of a stroke Jan. 19 at Levindale Hebrew Geriatric Center and Hospital. He was 81 and lived in Randallstown.

Mr. Wallace, a machinist, began working at Western Electric's Point Breeze plant in 1946. He was supervisor of the company's wire department before retiring on a medical disability in 1982.

Born in Baltimore and raised in Northwest Baltimore, he attended Douglass High School and earned his high school equivalency while serving in the Navy during World War II. He was a machinist and maintained fighter planes at Pearl Harbor.

In addition to his active membership in the VFW, he was a member of the American Legion.

Mr. Wallace also was a member of Prince Hall Masons and Knights of St. Peter Claver, and a longtime communicant of St. Edward's Roman Catholic Church, 901 Poplar Grove St. in Baltimore, where a Mass of Christian burial was offered Friday.

Survivors include his wife of 39 years, the former Grace Ross; two sons, Theodore M. Wallace and William "Ike" Ashford, both of Baltimore; three daughters, Lydia Manley, Deatra Jones and Carla D. Wallace, all of Baltimore; six sisters, Veronica Fletcher of Mitchellville and Alma Randall, Priscilla Kelly, Virgie Blount, Helen Jones and Delores Bess, all of Baltimore; and 10 grandchildren.

June A. Seabold, 75, crossing guard, volunteer

June A. Seabold, a retired Baltimore County crossing guard and a volunteer for many causes, died Jan. 20 of a heart attack at her home in Abbottstown, Pa. She was 75.

Born June Amelia Conover in Dayton, Ohio, she married Russell E. Seabold in 1948 and moved to Baltimore in 1964.

Mrs. Seabold worked in several day nurseries and, at age 60, joined the Baltimore County Police Department as a crossing guard in Randallstown.

She served in many posts at Salem United Methodist Church in Hebbville. She traveled to Costa Rica to do missionary work and to West Virginia to help flood victims.

A memorial service will be held at noon Saturday at Salem United Methodist Church, 7509 Windsor Mill Road, Baltimore.

In addition to her husband, Mrs. Seabold is survived by a son, Victor R. Seabold of Baltimore; two daughters, Dawn E. Moog of Towson, and Dorothy J. Smith of Westminster; a sister, Jane Martin of West Virginia; and four grandchildren.

Jill L. Becker, 31, tutor, volunteer at Beth Tfiloh

Jill L. Becker, a homemaker and classroom volunteer, ended her life Tuesday. The Owings Mills resident was 31.

Mrs. Becker, who had earned her bachelor's degree in family and childhood development at the University of Maryland in 1992, was a classroom mother at Beth Tfiloh Community School, where her two children were pupils.

She also completed coursework at the University of Maryland for a master's degree in audiology.

Born Jill Levy in Baltimore and raised in Pikesville, she was a 1988 graduate of Randallstown High School.

She was married in 1993 to Gary C. Becker, founder and president of the Becker Benefit Group in Owings Mills.

In addition to her work at Beth Tfiloh, Mrs. Becker tutored newly arrived Russian immigrants in English.

"She was a loving, caring mother and good friend. She was a very family-oriented person," said Mr. Becker.

She enjoyed exercising at the Owings Mills Athletic Club and meeting friends daily for coffee at Starbucks.

Mrs. Becker was a member of Beth El Congregation.

Services were held Thursday.

In addition to her husband, she is survived by a son, Glen B. Becker, and a daughter, Maris G. Becker, both of Owings Mills; her father, Alan Levy of Pikesville; her mother, Arlene Levy of Roland Park; a brother, Michael Levy of Hackensack, N.J.; and her maternal grandmother, Vivian Kasoff of Baltimore.

Michael K. Coale, 63, owned trucking companies

Michael K. Coale, who had owned and operated two trucking companies, died Wednesday of kidney failure at his Aberdeen home. He was 63.

In the early 1980s, Mr. Coale founded and served as president of M.K. Coale Enterprises, which delivered products by Johnson Controls, manufacturers of precision parts, to auto makers.

He was also a founder in the late 1960s and co-owner with a brother of Coale Transportation Co., a long-haul trucking company based in Joppa.

Six years ago, Mr. Coale was bitten by a poisonous spider and despite failing health, diabetes and amputations, he continued to go to work until retiring in 2000.

"He still went into the office because he wanted to keep his mind busy," said his wife of 34 years, the former Donna L. Reed.

Born in Bel Air, one of 11 children, Mr. Coale was an outstanding athlete at Bel Air High School, where he starred in football, softball and basketball.

After graduation in 1956, he attended the University of Maryland on a football scholarship and played defensive end. He withdrew from college after the death of his father and returned home to help support his family.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.