Baltimore police shoot carjack suspect

Downtown chase ends in crash and gunfire

January 26, 2002|By Todd Richissin | Todd Richissin,SUN STAFF

Baltimore police officers shot a man accused of carjacking yesterday after he led police on a chase through downtown that ended with the suspect crashing a car into a building and firing a handgun at officers, officials said.

The suspect was shot several times, according to police, and was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital. He was undergoing surgery last night.

The incident began about 7:30 p.m. near the Greyhound bus station in the 200 block of West Fayette Street when a man stopped a police officer who was on foot and told him two people had taken his car, said police spokeswoman Ragina Averella,

When the officer approached the car, a Chevrolet Cavalier, he saw a man behind the wheel and a woman next to him. When the driver saw the officer, he drove away, ramming a police cruiser and a taxi in the process, Averella said.

A chase through downtown ensued with at least a half-dozen police cars in pursuit. At the corner of Ensor and Monument streets, the Cavalier crashed into a brick building.

"The female got out of the car with her hands up and surrendered," Averella said. "The male got out and fired his weapon twice at officers. Five officers returned fire."

Nobody except the suspect was injured, she said, and neither the man nor the woman was identified. The woman was being held for questioning, Averella said.

The owner of the Cavalier was identified as Aaron Jones, 20, of Hamden, Va.

The shooting was the first involving Baltimore police officers since Jan. 1, when police shot three people within the first 15 minutes of the new year.

Police said those shootings involved men who pointed guns at them during efforts to arrest people celebrating the holiday by firing weapons.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.