No. 1 Douglass upends Overbrook

Smith scores 28 points as Ducks take 70-65 win

Randallstown rolls, 72-57

Boys basketball

High schools

January 19, 2002|By Derek Toney | Derek Toney,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

No. 1 Douglass hasn't lost its knack for fourth-quarter comebacks, overcoming Philadelphia's Overbrook, 70-65, in one of the marquee games in yesterday's Mayor's Academy boys basketball tournament at Coppin State.

Tyler Smith scored a game-high 28 points to lead the Ducks (12-0) while junior guard Gerald Brown added 19 including seven of eight shooting from the free-throw line. Angelo Hernandez led Overbrook (8-5) with 19 and Elijah Talbert had 14.

Smith, a 6-foot-2 junior guard, took command of the final eight minutes with 12 points as the Ducks rallied from a seven-point deficit. Last month, Douglass trailed then-No. 1 Walbrook in the fourth quarter before rallying for victory to claim the area's top ranking.

"They played great defense against us," Smith said. "We came together and said we weren't going to let anyone take the No. 1 spot from us, and we got to play defense on them. I knew once we got our defense, our offense came."

Brown got the rebound off a missed free throw and scored, giving Douglass a 59-57 lead with 3:13 remaining. After an Overbrook free throw, Smith, who tormented Overbrook with an assortment of drives to the basket, scored to increase the Ducks' lead to 61-58.

Overbrook got within 61-60 with 2:23 left before six free throws by Brown and two from Smith secured the Ducks' triumph. Douglass coach Rodney Coffield was impressed with his team's mettle in its first serious challenge since ascending to No. 1.

"We didn't play really good defense and they got out on us," Coffield said. "We had to climb back in it, but the guys showed a lot of character."

Overbrook matched the Ducks' quickness and athleticism, leading by as many as 15 points in the first half. Down 11 early in the third quarter, Douglass went on an 8-0 run that included back-to-back three-pointers from Smith and Brown.

"We had a bad spell there. I think we were about to come back off it and we just couldn't turn it around," said Overbrook coach Ron Ford, whose team will play No. 5 Walbrook. "They have an excellent team, they got a lot of good athletes and would do well in our league."

No. 9Randallstown 72, No. 7 Lake Clifton 57: Levi Stukes scored a game-high 33 points to go with six steals and four rebounds as the Rams (13-0) humbled the Lakers (9-5).

Randallstown suffered only one bad quarter, the second, and after leading 35-27 at the half, the Rams pushed their lead to 54-34 going into the fourth with Stukes and their defense in the spotlight.

Our word going into today was respect," Randallstown coach Kim Rivers said. "We came in here to gain some respect, and I hope we gained some with this win, which was centered around our defense."

In staying perfect, Randallstown raced out 17-0 with Stukes, who had 23 of his points in the first half. Stukes converted three Lakers turnovers into seven of those points.

Lake Clifton rallied near the end of the first, but finished with eight turnovers and a 20-9 deficit. The Lakers got back into the game before the break by outscoring the Rams 18-15 in the second quarter on the strength of seven points by Daminian Walker, who led his team with 26 points and seven rebounds.

Down 35-27 at the half, Lake Clifton succumbed to the Randallstown pressure again, committing seven more turnovers. The Rams convert six of those into 12 of the 19 points in the third.

"We work on pressure every day in practice because our goal is to be the best defensive team in the state," Rivers said.

Fairmont Heights 65, No. 2 Dunbar 55: Fairmont Heights avenged a loss to the Poets in last season's Class 2A state semifinals with a victory.

Maryland-bound guard Chris McCray scored 18 of his 20 points in the second half for Fairmont Heights (7-4), and Ricky Parham contributed 18. Senior guard James Taylor led Dunbar (11-3) with a game-high 28.

Trailing 30-27 at halftime, Fairmont Heights went on a 28-13 surge in the second half to stake a 55-43 lead.

Jajuan Robinson had 14 points for Dunbar, which will play Towson Catholic next.

Martin Luther King-Philadelphia 45, No. 5 Walbrook 40: Martin Luther King improved to 10-0 with a victory over the Warriors (11-3), who were held to their lowest point total of the season.

Wayne Marshall scored a game-high 12 points for Martin Luther King, and DuVon Bradley and Akeem Wright added 10. Steve Woodard and Donte Draper led Walbrook with 10.

Walbrook entered the fourth quarter with a 33-17 deficit, but got within four late as the team hit eight of the its 14 field-goal attempts. But the Warriors missed 11 of 19 free throws for the game.

No. 16 Eastern Tech 61, Northwestern 51: In the opening game, Josh McKay scored a game-high 20 and Rudy Gay added 18 for the Mavericks (10-2), who pulled away from Wildcats (8-6).

The victory marked the first for the Baltimore County program over a city team, according to Mavericks coach Todd Wade. Eastern Tech was tied with No. 1 Douglass in the fourth quarter before the Ducks pulled away.

Kevin Womack scored 14 points to lead Northwestern, which continued its erratic play.

Edgewood 67, Carver 62: Tyson Lesene scored 10 of his game-high 25 points in the final 4:40, including a pair of three-pointers, to lift the Rams (9-3) over the Bears (4-8).

Lesene hit two free throws with 12 seconds left to ice it at 67-62 after Craig Trice had hit a three and a two for his only points.

Kevin Rowlette followed Lesene with 17 points as the Rams placed four players in double figures, the other two being James Rawlings (15) and Dwayne Howell (14).

John Howard scored 23 to lead Carver, and William Smith chipped in 11.

Sun staff writer Pat O'Malley contributed to this article.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.