Bigby lifts Meade in double OT

Senior gets last word over Glen Burnie, 75-71

Boys basketball

High Schools

January 16, 2002|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,SUN STAFF

Meade's Eric Bigby says he doesn't like pressure, but he sure handles it well.

Bigby, a 6-foot-5 senior transfer from Fort Knox, Ky., scored four of his 25 points in the final 18 seconds of double overtime to lift the No. 11 Mustangs boys basketball team over No. 19 Glen Burnie, 75-71, last night at Fort Meade.

"I'd rather not be in it [pressure]," said Bigby, who also had game-high totals of 15 rebounds and eight blocked shots. "But when I'm in it, I try to take the shot that counts, last shot."

Glen Burnie coach Mike Rudd was disappointed his team missed the final shot at the end of the extra sessions.

"You can't practice the kind of pressure that was there, but I'm pleased the way our kids competed all night," said Rudd, whose team fell to 8-5.

The Mustangs (10-3) took the early lead in the second overtime at 68-66 on a basket by Danny Brearly. After Mitch Guest (game-high 29 points) tied it at 68, a three-point play by Ray Williams gave Meade a 71-68 lead. Guest then sank three of four foul shots to tie it at 71 with 32 seconds left.

With the ball again, Bigby drove to the basket. He scored and was fouled on the play with 18 seconds left, but missed the free throw.

Bigby got another chance after the Gophers missed a shot. He got the rebound with six seconds left and was fouled. This time, he hit two free throws to ice it.

The rivalry between the two schools is new to Bigby, who has proven to be a pain to the Gophers. In the final of the Meade Christmas Tournament in December, he scored 25 in a thrilling 75-71 win over the Gophers.

"The difference in this one was Bigby, and we shot atrocious," said Rudd, whose team shot only 29 of 90 (32 percent). Meade shot 28 of 62 (45 percent).

Turnovers hurt both teams, and winning coach Butch Young wasn't quite pleased.

"At times I wanted to kiss them," Young said. "But at times I also wanted to kick them."

The game was back and forth throughout, with Meade leading 15-14 after the first quarter and 28-26 at the half.

Meade took the biggest lead of the game at 42-31 with three minutes left in the third, and ended the quarter up 45-36.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.