Three men killed in three weekend crashes

Pa. man, 57, charged in W. Ocean City incident

January 14, 2002|By Laura Cadiz | Laura Cadiz,SUN STAFF

Three car crashes -- including a hit-and-run that killed a bicycle rider in West Ocean City -- left three men dead during the weekend. An arrest was made in the Ocean City incident yesterday.

In Fallston, a Parkton man was killed in a three-vehicle accident on Route 152 after his Volkswagen Fox was struck by a Dodge pickup that had crossed the center line while traveling south, state police said.

After the Volkswagen was hit, about 4:20 p.m. north of Pleasantville Road, it veered onto the right shoulder of northbound Route 152. A motorcycle then struck the car on its rear passenger side.

The driver of the Volkswagen, George Welch Lacey III, 54, of the 200 block of Kaufman Road, was pronounced dead at the scene.

The driver of the pickup was treated at Maryland Shock Trauma Center and released. The motorcyclist was treated at Upper Chesapeake Medical Center and released.

Another three-vehicle crash in Colesville, in Montgomery County, killed a Silver Spring man after his car crossed the center line on Fairland Road, Montgomery County police said.

Lansana Camara, 21, of the 700 block of Oxford Square Drive was driving a Mitsubishi Eclipse west on Fairland Road approaching Hobart Drive shortly before noon when he lost control and crossed the double-yellow lines, police said.

The Mitsubishi struck a Chevrolet Trailblazer that was traveling east on Fairland Road. The Mitsubishi spun around and hit an Isuzu Trooper traveling behind the Chevrolet.

Camara was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver and two passengers in the Chevrolet were not injured. The driver of the Isuzu was taken to Holy Cross Hospital for nonlife-threatening injuries, police said.

In West Ocean City, state police at the Berlin barracks said Wyatt Harmash, 25, of Stattsburg, N.Y., was riding a bicycle and attempting to cross U. S. 50 near Elm Street in front of White Marlin Mall about 10:50 p.m. when he was struck by a white pickup truck heading east on the highway whose driver failed to stop.

Sgt. Rick Klebon said Harmash was taken to Atlantic General Hospital in Berlin before being transferred to Peninsula Regional Medical Center in Salisbury, where he died at 3 a.m. yesterday.

About 2 p.m. yesterday, a Pennsylvania man who arrived at the barracks with his wife surrendered to police, Klebon said.

After an interview with investigating police, Walter Gardner, 57, of Havertown near Philadelphia, was charged with leaving the scene of a personal injury accident, failing to render aid to an injured person and failure to report a personal injury accident.

Klebon said Gardner was to appear last night at a bail hearing before a Worcester County District Court commissioner.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.