Loyola falls in 3 overtimes, 82-76

Siena hands Greyhounds their sixth straight loss

College Basketball

January 11, 2002|By Jeff Zrebiec | Jeff Zrebiec,SUN STAFF

During its five-game losing streak, the Loyola men's basketball team had fallen behind early in each game and had never really given itself a chance to win.

Last night, the Greyhounds experienced a new way to lose, and it was by far, the most painful.

In a game that featured two last-second three-pointers to force overtime periods, Siena finally put Loyola away in the third overtime to capture an 82-76 win at Reitz Arena.

The loss, Loyola's sixth straight, drops the Greyhounds to 2-11, 1-3 in Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference play. Siena improved to 7-10 overall, 4-1 in the MAAC.

The Greyhounds were seconds away from a victory. But leading 53-50 with 12.5 seconds left, Loyola lost Saints leading scorer Dwayne Archbold off a series of screens, and Archbold hit a three-pointer with 3.4 seconds left to send the game into overtime.

Archbold led all scorers with 24 points to go along with 15 rebounds. The Greyhounds, who had four players in double figures, again had their chances to close the game in the first overtime but couldn't, and needed a last second shot of their own to send the game into a second overtime.

On two successive possessions, Bernard Allen and B.J. Davis, who tied Lucious Jordan for game-high honors with 19 points, missed the front end of one-and-ones. Archbold took advantage and sank a baseline floater with 43 seconds left to put the Saints in front 59-56.

It was Loyola senior Damien Jenifer's turn to play hero. Jenifer, who scored 16 points and played fabulous defense in frustrating, Archbold early, hit an off-balance three pointer with 1.3 seconds left to tie the game at 59.

Davis went to the line with nine seconds left in the second overtime with a chance to win the game. He made the first, but missed the second, and the game went on to the third overtime.

Jenifer fouled out at the 3:20 mark of the third overtime, and the Greyhounds never recovered. Austin Andrews had six points in the third overtime session, and Loyola ran out of steam and miracles.

Loyola flirted with disaster early in the second, and saw its lead, which once reached as much as nine in the first half, trimmed to one early in the second, and eventually erased altogether.

The Saints took their first lead since 2-0, at 33-32 on a Clinton basket at the 14:05 mark, but Loyola didn't fold.

Jordan made two straight three pointers, the last of which, at the 7:09 mark, gave the Greyhounds a 47-42 lead. It was a lead that held until the final seconds.

Another positive for the Greyhounds was that they were able to reverse a trend of slow starts. In each of its past five losses, Loyola had fallen behind by at least 12 in the game's first 10 minutes.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.