Outlaw fouls up Gibbons' rally in St. Joe win

Senior hits 5 foul shots late to open 51-42 victory

High Schools

Boys basketball

January 07, 2002|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,SUN STAFF

J.J. Outlaw's senior leadership at nitty-gritty time and a 40-25 advantage in rebounds enabled No. 8 Mount St. Joseph to overcome its poor foul shooting and take a 51-42 decision over No. 16 Cardinal Gibbons yesterday in Irvington.

Despite going 12-for-24 at the line and Outlaw sitting most of the second and third periods with four fouls, the host Gaels survived what turned into a half-court game against their wishes.

Mount St. Joe (10-3 overall) evened its Baltimore Catholic League/MIAA A Conference record at 2-2. The Crusaders slipped to 8-7 and 0-1.

Outlaw, the Gaels' senior point guard, made five of six free throws in the last 1:31 to finish with 11 points. His first two gave his team a 47-42 lead after a three-point play by Gibbons' Luke McCrone made it 45-42 with 1:42 remaining.

"We always play hard, but St. Joe has J.J. Outlaw, an experienced, senior veteran point guard who I think is the premier guard in the league," said coach Bob Flynn, whose Crusaders never got closer after Outlaw put the Gaels up by five.

"He steadied them down the stretch. When he got back into the game, you could just see the other players on their team say `OK, we've got our leader back.' He clearly is the leader of that team."

Mount St. Joe's 24-3 dominance in defensive rebounding also loomed large.

Flynn said his Crusaders were concentrating on getting back by sending only two players to the glass. Gibbons usually crashes the boards with three, but yesterday its goal was to keep the Gaels from flying up and down the court in transition.

At the same time, St. Joe coach Pat Clatchey said his team was trying to keep Gibbons' 6-foot-7 McCrone and 6-6 Dwight Dean off the boards for second shots.

The Gaels succeeded with the Crusaders unofficially shut out on their offensive end in the first half and grabbing only three in the second half. McCrone, who had 12 points, had 15 of his team's 22 defensive rebounds and pulled in two offensively for 17 boards.

Dean, who had 13 of his game-high 20 points in the first half, had only three rebounds.

"We've had to adjust to a smaller lineup with the loss of Anthony Fair," Clatchey said.

Fair, a 6-6 junior, is out for the season with a knee injury suffered last week. In his place, 6-6 sophomore William Thomas, 6-1 junior Keon Lattimore and 6-5 swingman junior Willie Horne have to step up as they did yesterday.

Thomas led the Gaels with 14 points, nine rebounds and two blocked shots and Lattimore had seven points and 10 rebounds, seven on offense.

Horne added four rebounds and two blocks, and 5-10 senior Corey Copeland did his share with nine points and six rebounds.

"Most teams in the league have two post players, and we're going to have to adjust without Fair," Clatchey said.

St. Joe led 27-23 at the half and still had a four-point lead after a brutal 9-9 third period. The Gaels were 4-for-17 from the floor, Gibbons, which outshot its foe 35 percent to 32 percent for the game, was 3-for-10 in the third quarter.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.