Edward C. Rigg, 88, architect, designed schools Edward...

Deaths Elsewhere

January 04, 2002

Edward C. Rigg, 88, architect, designed schools

Edward C. Rigg, a retired Baltimore architect who specialized in designing schools and educational facilities, died Tuesday of heart failure at Brighton Gardens Assisted Living Community in Riderwood. He was 88 and a former longtime Towson resident.

Mr. Rigg, who in the early 1950s founded the firm of Edward Rigg Architects, retired in 1978. He designed several buildings on the campus of Western Maryland College, family members said.

The Pittsburgh native earned his bachelor's and master's degrees in architecture from Carnegie Tech, now Carnegie-Mellon University. He moved to Baltimore after serving in the Navy in the Pacific during World War II.

He was married in 1945 to Edna Rigg, who died in 1968. In 1969, he married Louise Barnes, who survives him.

Mr. Rigg was an accomplished watercolorist and was a member of the Baltimore Watercolor Society.

He was a member of Trinity Episcopal Church, 120 Allegheny Ave., Towson, where a memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow .

Mr. Rigg is also survived by nieces Barbara Chew of Pittsburgh and Judi Crytzer of South Euclid, Ohio.

Harry W. Poehler Jr., 82, salesman, churchwarden

Harry W. Poehler Jr., a retired salesman and senior churchwarden, died of complications from a stroke Dec. 28 at Fairhaven Retirement Community in Sykesville, where he moved three years ago. He was 82 and was a former resident of the Mays Chapel section of Timonium.

Mr. Poehler retired in 1985 as a salesman for Tri-State Envelope in Beltsville. Earlier, he had sold potato chips for David Kerr Co. in Waverly.

Born in Baltimore and raised on Barclay Street, he attended Lafayette Junior High School and City College.

Active in Episcopal church affairs, he had been a senior warden at St. John's-Huntingdon Church, Old York Road and Greenmount Avenue, and at St. John's Church, 3738 Butler Road in Glyndon, where a memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. today.

He is survived by his wife of 62 years, the former Doris Wann; a daughter, Doris P. McIntire of Glyndon; a brother, Edward J. Poehler of Timonium; and two sisters, Patricia G. Shanahan of Glen Burnie and Sarah Todd of Ocean City.

Spencer Paul Moulden, 59, carpenter

Spencer Paul Moulden, a retired carpenter, died Saturday of cancer complications at Maryland General Hospital. He was 59 and lived in Southwest Baltimore.

Mr. Moulden worked for area contractors until retiring for health reasons two years ago.

Born in Baltimore and raised on Clifton Avenue, he attended Frederick Douglass High School.

He spent his free time fixing old cars and washing machines.

Services will be held at 10 a.m. today at First Abyssinia Baptist Church, 2500 Arunah Ave., where Mr. Moulden was a member.

He is survived by his wife of 40 years, the former Sandra Garrison; a son, Paul Moulden; a daughter, Teron Moulden King; two brothers, Aaron Moulden and Kenneth Moulden; four sisters, Myrna Smothers, Janice Madden-Norton, Harriet Person and Marlene DeShields, all of Baltimore; six grandchildren; and a great-grandson.


Julia Phillips, 57, the first female producer to win an Oscar for best picture and author of a famously scandalous Hollywood memoir, died of cancer Tuesday in West Hollywood, Calif. Ms. Phillips made movie history in 1973 when she shared the best-picture Oscar as co-producer of The Sting, starring Robert Redford and Paul Newman.

She later co-produced director Martin Scorsese's Taxi Driver in 1976 and Steven Spielberg's Close Encounters of the Third Kind the next year.

As her success grew, Ms. Phillips acknowledged years later, she became caught up in Hollywood's fast life of indiscriminate sex and drug abuse. She eventually became addicted to cocaine. "I allowed myself to get my head turned," she told the Associated Press in a 1991 interview to promote her memoir You'll Never Eat Lunch in This Town Again.

The book resulted in many friends never talking to her again. But if she could have written the book over, she wouldn't have changed a word, she said afterward.

Eugene Nickerson, 83, the first judge to strike down the "don't ask, don't tell" policy for gays in the U.S. military and who presided over the Abner Louima police brutality trials, died in New York on Tuesday of complications from ulcer surgery, family and colleagues said yesterday.

Mr. Nickerson, who served 24 years in U.S. District Court in Brooklyn, N.Y., presided over many prominent cases, among the most-watched being three trials in which white New York City police officers were charged with torture, assault and lying in the case of Haitian immigrant Abner Louima.

In 1995, he became the first judge to strike down a policy under which gays and lesbians could be expelled from the military for declaring their sexual orientation.

Judy Delton, 70, the author of more than 200 children's books, died Monday in St. Paul, Minn., after contracting a blood infection.

Ms. Delton is best known as the author of the Pee Wee Scouts series, which sold more than 7.5 million copies. She also wrote the Kitty series, based on her experiences growing up and attending parochial school in St. Paul.

Guido Di tella, 70, the Argentine foreign minister who helped mend relations with Britain after the 1982 Falkland Islands war, died in Buenos Aires on Monday after suffering a stroke.

Mr. Di tella, a former ambassador to the United States, was foreign minister under then-President Carlos Menem in the 1990s when Argentina and Britain reconciled after the war over the Falklands, a British possession off the Argentine coast.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.