Six people are treated for smoke inhalation after nursing home fire

January 03, 2002|BY A SUN STAFF WRITER

A resident and five staff members were treated for smoke inhalation after an early morning fire yesterday in a Towson nursing home.

Baltimore County fire officials think the 12:30 a.m. fire started in a heating unit in a room at Manor Care Ruxton, 7001 N. Charles St. The nursing home's sprinkler system quickly brought the fire under control, said Fire Capt. Glenn Blackwell.

The top floor of the three-story building was temporarily evacuated, Blackwell said.

The people who suffered from smoke inhalation were treated at hospitals and released, said Catherine Raines, a Manor Care spokeswoman. The staff members returned to the 144-resident nursing home to complete their shifts.

Fire damage to the building, which Manor Care officials estimate to be 25 years old, was confined to the room where the fire occurred, Raines said. Some residents in adjacent rooms will be temporarily housed in other quarters because of water damage, she said.

Manor Care officials expressed relief that no one was seriously injured in the fire.

"Everything worked as it was supposed to," Raines said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.