Man, 21, pleads guilty to three sexual assaults

Tully faces possibility of life behind bars

November 28, 2001|By Andrea F. Siegel | Andrea F. Siegel,SUN STAFF

A Glen Burnie man could spend the rest of his life in prison for sexually assaulting three women last November and in January.

Dean Richard Tully, 21, pleaded guilty yesterday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court to two counts of first-degree rape and one count of attempted first-degree rape, as victims and their families watched quietly.

Judge Clayton Greene Jr. scheduled sentencing for Jan. 25.

Tully, a resident of the first block of Bliss Lane in Harundale, could be sentenced to life in prison on each count.

"I am asking for two consecutive life sentences and one concurrent for the attempted rape," said Assistant State's Attorney Laura S. Kiessling.

She credited vigilant neighbors with preventing a more serious attack on the third victim and with alerting police.

Assistant Public Defender Jay Sullivan, representing Tully, said he has not decided what sentence to seek.

Tully admitted raping a 36-year-old woman Nov. 2 last year in Harundale on her bedroom floor while her toddler son was sleeping in the same room. He threatened to return if she told anyone, but she reported the assault immediately.

He also pleaded guilty to raping a 70-year-old widow Jan. 3 in her Glen Burnie home. Her grown son, worried when his mother did not answer the phone at night and noticing that her car was missing when he arrived at her home, found his mother naked and duct-taped to a coffee table in the living room, Kiessling said.

Tully took the victim's car, jewelry, a fake gun that spritzes pepper spray, and other items. Prosecutors said he told them he had her purse and other items in his home, and police who searched his home found the items.

He also pleaded guilty to attempted first-degree rape in an attack on a 21-year-old woman Jan. 26 near her car in Harundale. As she fought and screamed, he hit her head against the ground.

Neighbors who heard her screaming called police. Kiessling said the sound of approaching sirens led Tully to stop his assault and flee. Neighbors saw a man running into woods. County police officers surrounded the area and brought in a police dog that forced the man out of the brush.

Tully told the judge he had been involved in the juvenile justice system. He has no criminal record as an adult.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.