Terps men advance in NCAA soccer

1-0 win sends UM to Round 2 vs. Loyola

November 24, 2001|By Glenn P. Graham | Glenn P. Graham,SUN STAFF

COLLEGE PARK — Maryland's men's soccer team had some quality scoring chances go to waste in the first half last night against visiting Notre Dame. Although fewer chances came in the second half, it only took one late opportunity to send the Terps to the second round of the NCAA Division I playoffs.

Sophomore midfielder Scott Buete, out of the lineup since Oct. 31 with a strained medial collateral ligament, provided the final touch Maryland had long been looking for with his third goal of the season in the 89th minute, lifting the Terps to a 1-0 win in front of 1,591 at Ludwig Field.

Maryland (11-8-1) returns to Ludwig at 1 p.m. tomorrow to take on Loyola, which received a first-round bye. The Greyhounds (16-1-2) will go in riding an 18-game unbeaten streak, having not lost since a season-opening 4-0 setback against California. Included in the run was a 1-0 win over the Terps on Sept. 19 on a late goal from senior defender Mike Nelson.

Freshman defender Ellis Welker headed a ball back in the middle which found the left foot of Buete, who found just enough time and space to beat Notre Dame freshman keeper Chris Sawyer up high from eight yards out.

"It was headed back in and it looked like their defense got stunned and they all got caught watching," said Buete. "Luckily, it just came through and I put my head down."

After the Terps controlled the first half, the second half was quietly played at midfield, with Notre Dame (12-7) settling in and playing on more even terms.

Everything sent toward Maryland freshman keeper Noah Palmer came from far out, with a strong defensive effort led by senior Beckett Hollenbach keeping the Irish away.

"I thought it was a game that could have gone either way and I feel fortunate we came out on top," Terps coach Sasho Cirovski said. "I think through hard work and our unwillingness to give up, we earned the victory. You create your own luck and I thought because we contested every ball, we made the ball bounce loose in the right place and found a way to win."

Despite controlling play for the majority of the first half, the Terps were woefully inefficient in their final third, unable to take advantage of a 4-0 advantage in corner kicks, two potentially dangerous direct kicks just outside the penalty area and a free run late from A.J. Herrera.

The sophomore forward was just onside running on to a through ball from Philip Salyer down the right side, but - all alone with Sawyer - sent a low shot from just inside the penalty area that missed the far post.

Content on playing it safe and relying on quick counters, the visiting Irish ended up with the best opportunity of the first 45 minutes when freshman midfielder Luke Boughen took a short drop from Devon Prescod and cranked a shot from 25 yards out that banged off the top crossbar in the 37th minute.

Goal: M-Buete. Assist: M-Welker. Saves: ND-Sawyer 1; M-Palmer 4. Half: 0-0.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.