Terps squeeze by Wake, reach national final, 3-2

Barbieri's goal in 2nd OT nets rematch with Mich.

College Field Hockey

November 17, 2001|By Alex Koustenis | Alex Koustenis,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

KENT, Ohio - The top-ranked Maryland field hockey team took a dramatic step toward its second national championship in three years last night, edging Wake Forest, 3-2, in double overtime in the NCAA semifinals.

With time running down, freshman Colleen Barbieri scored her second goal of the game off a pass by senior Dina Rizzo to lift the second-seeded Terps (20-3).

Junior Carissa Messimer passed to Rizzo with 57 seconds left in the second overtime. Rizzo dribbled around a defender and passed to Barbieri, who was wide open on the left side of the goal and hammered her shot into the cage to send the Terps into a rematch of the 1999 NCAA title game against Michigan (18-5) tomorrow at 2 p.m. No. 7 Michigan came from behind twice to top No. 6 Prince- ton, 4-2, in the other semifinal.

The Demon Deacons (16-5) dominated the Terps for the first half and put the first score on the board. With 28:47 to go in the half, a missed Wake shot turned into a struggle for the ball in front of the goal. Wake Forest junior Maria Whitehead was there to gain possession and score.

"I thought we controlled regulation," Whitehead said. "But Maryland just finished when they had to."

After battling for possession the Terps scored their first goal when senior midfielder Rachel Hiskins pushed her shot from the left side of the cage between the legs of goalie Katie Ridd. But the Deacons quickly cut down the Terps' momentum.

A minute later, Wake was able to convert a penalty corner on a shot by sophomore Kelly Doton to take a 2-1 lead into the intermission.

Both teams struggled on offense early in the second half. Terps coach Missy Meharg called a timeout with 10 minutes to go in regulation. Four minutes later, Rizzo dribbled around a defender while looking for an open teammate. She found Barbieri on the left side of the goal. Barbieri's shot whizzed past Ridd.

The Terps never looked back as they took their momentum into overtime and were able to secure a spot in the title game.

"I'm really proud of the team finding a way to win," Meharg said. "At halftime I tried to give them a sense of urgency to put themselves in a position to win. Any low-scoring game is about finishing."

Added Barbieri: "You just try to make things happen as much as you can."

Terps goalie Ashley Hohnstine came up with nine saves, several forcing her out of the net.

Wake Forest failed to convert several important penalty corners and also had several breakaways where it could have scored.

The Terps had their fair share of missed opportunities as well but, were able to pull together and put the last goal on the board.

Wake Forest 2 0 0 0 - 2

Maryland 1 1 0 1 - 3

Goals: WF-Doton, Whitehead; M-Barbieri 2, Hiskins. Assists: WF-Aughinbaugh, Whitehead; M-Rizzo 2. Saves: WF-Ridd 2; M-Hohnstine 9. Penalty corners: WF 11, M 3.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.