Bryn Mawr and St. Paul's reach final with 1-0 wins

3rd-, 4th-ranked teams play for title tomorrow

IAAM A Conference field hockey

High School

November 09, 2001|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,SUN STAFF

Bryn Mawr's Karrie Moore looked more like a soccer goalie than a field hockey goalie in the last three minutes of yesterday's Interscholastic Athletic Association of Maryland A Conference tournament semifinal against No. 12 Roland Park.

With the No. 3 Mawrtians clinging to a 1-0 edge, Moore faced a high arcing shot deflected off Kinsey Morrison's stick. Timing the drop perfectly, Moore backpedaled, reached up and batted the ball over the cage to preserve the win.

"McDonogh scored one like that, and I wasn't going to let anyone else do that to me again. I'm not that short," said the 5-foot-3 senior, with a laugh.

Moore, who finished with six saves, then repelled a hard shot from Cassie Harvey with 1:34 left to fight off the last of what had been a relentless Reds second-half attack.

Moore's stand, combined with Julia Perciasepe's goal, sent the host Mawrtians after their fifth straight private schools field hockey championship against No. 4 St. Paul's at 2:30 p.m. tomorrow at Garrison Forest.

In yesterday's rematch of last year's title game, the Mawrtians (13-3-4) avenged an early-October, 2-0 loss to the Reds (10-6-3) to win their eighth straight game.

Perciasepe's goal came with 12:34 left after a rebound off Reds keeper Shannon Burke saved Margaret Yellott's shot. The rebound sailed out to Perciasepe on the right side, and the junior forward nailed it into the far corner.

After that, just about everything went the Reds' way. Seven of Roland Park's 14 penalty corners came in the final 6:16, and Moore's heroics came on the last two.

No. 4 St. Paul's 1, McDonogh 0: Junior midfielder Kristin Connelly's first-half goal propelled the host Gators to their third conference final in five years.

St. Paul's, now 13-3-2, took the lead with 4:22 left in the half when senior defender Allison Schindler was awarded a free hit about 10 yards outside the circle.

Schindler sent the ball forward, and it wove through a maze of sticks and legs to Connelly, who bunted the ball past Eagles senior goalie Lauren Davis (two saves) and into the right side of the cage.

The momentum, however, shifted in the second half to McDonogh, which was in its first tournament semifinal in a decade.

The Eagles (11-7-3) drew five penalty corners to the Gators' zero in the period and pressured, but senior goalkeeper Elizabeth Jordan (four saves) and her defense of Schindler, Danica Strutt, Alexandra Eagan and Jenny Sharp preserved St. Paul's win.

"We have worked hard all season with the end in mind," Schindler said. "We came out strong in the first half and didn't want to let down. That's how we're going to go into Saturday's game."

McDonogh coach Katherine Mitchell said the outcome mirrored the Gators' regular-season 1-0 win against the Eagles.

"A 1-0 game is not a slaughter," Mitchell said. "We had a couple of chances to score goals. The game could've gone either way." - Ed Lee

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.