Dulaney turns tables, eliminates Dundalk, 1-0

Offensive woes continue in region quarterfinal win

Boys soccer

High School

October 31, 2001|By Rick Belz | Rick Belz,SUN STAFF

Dulaney has struggled to score all season, and its offensive frustration was evident again yesterday during a 1-0 Class 3A North Region quarterfinal victory over Dundalk.

The No. 10-ranked Lions dominated the Owls by outshooting them, 24-6.

But Dundalk goalkeeper Nicholas Smith made 21 saves, including at least 10 diving stops and a half dozen or more that could be rated as spectacular.

On Oct. 18, Smith made 23 stops as the Owls upset Dulaney, 1-0, and yesterday's effort was almost as good.

Smith's only lapse came with 16:05 left in the first half.

Off a restart, Chris Keppeler headed a long ball at the 18-yard line to Tyler Hagin, whose shot at the right post was saved by Smith on a diving effort.

The ball broke free, however, and Keppeler, standing 5 yards out right in the center of the goal, was there to kick it into an undefended goal. His left-footed tap was the 6-foot-4, 190-pound right fullback's second goal this season.

"I thought I had it in my hands and then someone kicked it out," Smith said, thinking that a foul might have been called and the goal disallowed. "But those kinds of things happen in soccer."

Dulaney goalkeeper Nick Warner recorded his 10th shutout, but made only six saves, none of them out of the ordinary.

Dundalk (6-7-1) also struggled to score this season, and freshman striker Dave Gliniecki, playing his fifth game, was unable to match his previous four performances in which he scored four goals and had four assists, including the Oct. 18 game-winning goal against Dulaney.

Dulaney (11-4-1) -- which advanced to the semifinals, where it will face Patapsco -- made some lineup changes yesterday, starting freshman Scott Franklin at left back and moving Eric Frey from midfield to striker.

"We were coming off being shut out in back-to-back games against Dundalk and Eastern Tech, and in my four years we've never had that happen, so there was a sense of urgency about scoring today," Dulaney coach Steve Shaw said. "It doesn't matter how well we've played up to now if we lose."

Dundalk played long-ball soccer from its defensive end and splintered Dulaney's normal short-passing possession style.

Owls coach Geoff Holland, who was pleased with his team's effort, said: "It was tough coming back to their place for a second time. Dulaney played well and I wish them luck in the playoffs."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.