Broadneck snaps back in 2nd half for 6-3 win

Arundel surge repelled in regional semifinal

Field hockey

High Schools

October 31, 2001|By Edward Lee | Edward Lee,SUN STAFF

The concern was evident but brief for the Broadneck field hockey team.

After squandering a two-goal lead, the No. 15 Bruins scored three times in an eight-minute span of the second half to batter visiting Arundel, 6-3, in a Class 4A East Region semifinal in Annapolis yesterday.

Broadneck (11-3-1) earned its second straight trip to the regional final but had to sweat out a surge by the Wildcats late in the first half.

"We were worried," said senior attack Katherine Jackson, who scored two goals for the Bruins. "But we went out there and pushed ourselves harder. We wanted to come back in the second half."

After Jackson and junior midfielder Alison Welcher scored to post Broadneck to a 2-0 lead, Arundel (9-5-1) stormed back with goals from junior attack Deanna Romeo and senior midfielder Danielle Werner in a two-minute span late in the first half.

But any momentum the Wildcats had hoped to ride in the second half ended when the Bruins scored the first three goals of the period. Senior attack Natalie Kopack scored twice in a five-minute span, and Jackson lodged her second three minutes later.

Werner scored her second of the game to slice the lead to two with 10 minutes left in the game, but Welcher clinched the win for Broadneck by scoring her second with two minutes left.

Arundel coach Clint Gosnell said his team didn't put up much of a defensive front against the Bruins.

"They can put the balls in the goal," Gosnell said. "It's obvious that we can, too, but we didn't play enough defense today."

Broadneck played without coach Phoebe Kelly, who was attending her father's funeral. Assistant coaches Nicki Meshbesher and Melissa Quigley managed the team in Kelly's absence.

Meshbesher said she expects Kelly to return to the team in time for tomorrow's regional final.

Chesapeake 1, North County 1: Senior goalkeeper Meghann Bush turned away four North County penalty strokes in the third overtime period and junior defenders Mandy Bathras and Christina Kocka converted theirs to propel the visiting Cougars to their first Class 4A East Region final since 1997.

Chesapeake trailed 1-0 just 65 seconds into the game when Knights senior attack Mandi Moshkelgosha converted a pass from senior midfielder Katie Francazi.

Senior attack Amanda Weitzell scored with 13:02 left in the second half to help the Cougars (10-2-2) extend the game into two scoreless 10-minute overtime periods.

Chesapeake coach Jerry Taylor said her team may have taken North County (5-8-1) too lightly at the start.

"They came ready to play," Taylor said. "It took us a half to wake up. I think we expected to control the play since we beat them during the regular season, but they did an excellent job."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.