Dundalk takes path of least resistance, 22-14

Avoiding star Hayes yields upset of No. 15 Woodlawn


October 28, 2001|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

Dundalk coach Eric Webber knew his best chance at upsetting No. 15 Woodlawn was to avoid 6-foot-3, 335-pound Jesse Hayes, a two-way lineman and second-team All-Metro selection.

That strategy worked yesterday, and the Owls carved out a 22-14 Baltimore County 4A-3A league victory that ended the Warriors' six-game winning streak and severely hampered Woodlawn's shot at a Class 4A state playoff berth.

"We went wherever he wasn't. A couple times, we went at him and he stuffed us," said Webber. "No question, he's the best lineman in the county, but we have five linemen who are better than their five."

Webber praised linemen Thomas Raybon, Tavon McMillon, Nick Harrison, Steve Nadeau and Derrick Breedlove, whose average size is 6-1, 243 pounds. Behind them, running backs Jaired Rose, Lanard Estep, Keith Barnes and quarterback Aaron Pack combined for 307 rushing yards.

"Lanard has the power, Keith has the long strides, I have the moves, and Aaron -- he's just fast," said Rose, who rushed for a game-high 152 yards and scored two touchdowns. His 46-yard run with 2:14 remaining in the third quarter was the last score of the game.

"The sweep and trap worked the most," said Rose. "We knew they wouldn't shut us down."

Woodlawn (6-2 overall, 6-1 league) was hurt by the absence of four defensive starters who were serving a one-game suspension for their roles in a fracas in last week's win over Milford Mill.

"They ran the same three or four plays the whole game, and ran away from Jesse," said Woodlawn coach Leonard Hart. "The rest of our defense didn't step up. We had four starters missing, and they ran at the rookies at those positions."

Dundalk (5-3 overall, 5-2 league) led 8-0 after one period when Rose's 6-yard run and his ensuing conversion run capped a 13-play, 98-yard drive. The march was set up by Thomas Kane's interception at his own 2, which ended a Woodlawn drive that had covered 51 yards in 11 plays.

"I read the quarterback's eyes and went for the ball," said Kane, who also quelled Woodlawn's last drive of the game with an interception at Dundalk's 1.

Woodlawn made it 8-8 -- the halftime score -- after Mark McKenzie's second quarter, 4-yard run. But the Owls led, 16-8, after a third period, 10-play, 69-yard drive that ended with Estep's 3-yard rush and his conversion run.

McKenzie's 2-yard touchdown run brought the Warriors to 16-14. But he and Dundalk's Brad Simonsen got into a shoving match during the conversion attempt and were ejected. Both must miss next week's games in accordance with county rules.

"When we lost Mark McKenzie, we slowed down," Hart said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.