O's Segui and Lunar undergo surgery

Knee, shoulder repaired

Hargrove staff to return

Orioles

October 27, 2001|By Joe Strauss | Joe Strauss,SUN STAFF

The Orioles yesterday confirmed that first baseman/designated hitter David Segui and catcher Fernando Lunar underwent arthroscopic surgery this week to repair conditions that severely limited them during the final month of the season.

The club also announced that manager Mike Hargrove will retain his entire coaching staff, a move that had been anticipated but is unprecedented under the stewardship of majority owner Peter Angelos.

Segui, whose season was abbreviated to 82 games by a series of injuries that began in spring training, underwent surgery for the removal of bone chips from his left knee and is expected to wear a support cast for three to four weeks, according to the club.

Surgery was performed by Kansas City, Mo., orthopedist Dr. Steve Joyce. The condition prevented Segui from playing a complete game after an Aug. 23 appearance against Tampa Bay.

Signed to a four-year, $28 million contract as a free agent last December, Segui batted .301 with 10 home runs, 46 RBIs and a team-high .406 on-base percentage along with a .373 batting average with runners in scoring position.

Lunar underwent surgery, performed by Birmingham, Ala., orthopedist Dr. James Andrews, to tighten his chronically sore left shoulder as well as for removal of a ganglion cyst from the area.

The rookie catcher's role grew significantly after he appeared in only 12 games through May, but he did not start after Sept. 5 because of pain that prevented him from raising his left arm and made it painful for him to swing a bat.

Considered an offensive project during spring training, Lunar batted .246 without a home run in 167 at-bats. He caught 429 innings, throwing out 18 of 54 would-be base stealers.

"Both doctors said the procedures went very well," said vice president of baseball operations Syd Thrift, who said both players would be at full strength before spring training.

Outfielder Chris Richard will be the next Oriole to undergo surgery as he will have arthroscopic surgery performed on his left shoulder Nov. 5 by Los Angeles orthopedist Dr. Lewis Yocum.

Richard was unable to play the outfield after Sept. 7 because of pain that made it difficult for him to throw.

The retention of Hargrove's staff was expected. The only possible change would have had third base coach Tom Trebelhorn return to player development as director of organizational instruction, but Hargrove prevailed upon Thrift to keep the former American League Manager of the Year on staff.

Trebelhorn, considered one of the club's most versatile and valuable members, returns along with pitching coach Mark Wiley; first base coach Eddie Murray; bench coach Sam Perlozzo; hitting coach Terry Crowley and bullpen coach Elrod Hendricks.

Hendricks will return for his 25th season as Orioles bullpen coach, while Perlozzo returns for a seventh season with the Orioles. Wiley becomes the Orioles' first pitching coach to return since Dick Bosman served under Johnny Oates from 1992 to '94.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.