Theodore D. Dourakos, 72, artist and businessman...

October 26, 2001

Theodore D. Dourakos, 72, artist and businessman

Theodore D. Dourakos, an artist and former owner of several pizza parlors, died Sunday of emphysema at his Severna Park home. He was 72.

Mr. Dourakos, a trained artist, worked during the 1980s for Barianos Historic Restorations in Washington, helping restore such landmark buildings as Union Station and the Willard Hotel.

His specialty was restoring mosaic tile floors and working with scagliola, an imitation marble made of gypsum and colored stone dust that is used to restore marble columns, family member said. He retired in 1990.

From 1971 to 1980, Mr. Dourakos was the owner of Pebbles Pizza, with outlets in Severna Park and Glen Burnie.

Mr. Dourakos was born and raised in Athens, Greece. He was an apprentice seaman aboard freighters in the merchant marine before joining the Greek Royal Navy and serving as a signalman from 1951 to 1953.

He studied stage and costume design at the Athens Technological Institute, and worked for five years in the theater after his graduation.

In 1962, he emigrated to Martinsburg, W.Va., to help a widowed sister. He later moved to Baltimore and earned his bachelor's degree from Maryland Institute College of Art and a master's in education from Virginia Commonwealth University.

An accomplished artist, Mr. Dourakos worked in a variety of media, including metal sculpture, wood carving, lithography and painting. He enjoyed attending the opera and theater.

Mr. Dourakos was a member of the Greek Orthodox Cathedral of the Annunciation, where services were held Wednesday.

He is survived by his wife of 33 years, the former Connie Marmaras; a son, Jack Dourakos of Brooklyn, N.Y.; a daughter, Kale Biagiolo of Washington; and three sisters, Litsa Pakas of Baltimore, Katie Deimendes of Alexandria, Va., and Pipitsa Papadopoulous of Athens.

Murray Aaron Horowitz, 74, equipment supervisor

Murray Aaron Horowitz, a retired auto equipment supervisor for the State Highway Administration, died Tuesday of heart disease at the Jewish Convalescent and Nursing Home in Pikesville. He was 74.

Mr. Horowitz, called "Mike" by friends and family, owned several gasoline stations before going to work for the administration in 1972. He rose from mechanic to supervisor for four counties by the time he retired in 1996, and "would have still been working if I had let him," said his wife of 53 years, the former Vivien Greenstein.

During snowstorms, the responsibility of keeping plows operating sometimes took Mr. Horowitz away from his home for several days.

The Horowitzes decided to split their time between Baltimore and Delray Beach, Fla., after his retirement. Mr. Horowitz liked to call his friends at the highway administration to tease them about the beautiful Florida weather, his wife said.

Born in Brooklyn, N.Y., Mr. Horowitz moved to Baltimore with his family as a teen-ager. He graduated from City College in 1945, and later from Lincoln Technical Institute.

He enlisted in the Army on his 18th birthday -- in time to serve as an anti-tank gunner in northern Italy near the end of World War II. He was a longtime member of the Jewish War Veterans.

Graveside services will be held at 1 p.m. today at the Swinicher Woliner Benevolent Association Cemetery, 6700 Bowleys Lane in Baltimore.

In addition to his wife, Mr. Horowitz is survived by a son, Richard Horowitz of Henderson, Nev.; a daughter, Sharon Glasser of Bel Air; a brother, Herbert Horowitz, and a sister, Evelyn Reznitsky, both of Baltimore; and two grandchildren.

Richard C. Hinke Jr., 49, Baltimore Sun mailer

Richard C. Hinke Jr., a retired Baltimore Sun mailer and avid sports memorabilia collector, died Monday of scleroderma at Johns Hopkins Hospital. He was 49.

A resident of Perry Hall, he worked for 25 years as a mailer for the newspaper company before retiring on medical disability in 1996. He was a member of Teamsters Local 888.

Born and raised in Hamilton, he was a 1970 graduate of City College, and attended the University of Maryland, Baltimore County and Towson University.

He was a communicant of Immaculate Heart of Mary Roman Catholic Church, 8501 Loch Raven Blvd. in Baynesville, where a Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 11 a.m. today.

Mr. Hinke is survived by his wife of 24 years, the former Dierdre D. Stadler; his parents, Richard C. and Doris Hinke of Northwood; a brother, Robert Hinke of Baltimore; a sister, Linda Colacioppo of Baltimore; a nephew; and three nieces.

Karen L. Seymour, 40, bond-trading specialist

Karen L. Seymour, a Baltimore-born bond-trading computer specialist killed Sept. 11 in the World Trade Center disaster, will be honored at a memorial service at 1 p.m. tomorrow at Haight Funeral Home, 6416 Sykesville Road, Sykesville.

She was attending a financial technology seminar on the 106th floor of One World Trade Center, where she worked for Garban Intercapital, when it was struck by a terrorist-flown airplane. She was 40 and resided in Millington, N.J.

Raised in Eldersburg, she earned a degree in business administration systems at the University of Baltimore in 1981 and a master's in business administration from Fairleigh Dickinson University in Madison, N.J., in 1992.

She is survived by her companion, Bill Dietrich of Millington; 3-year-old twin children William and Sarah Dietrich; her father, David Seymour of Littlestown, Pa.; her mother, Catherine Seymour of Sykesville; a brother, Glenn Seymour of Abingdon; and a sister, Debra Anderson of Sykesville.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.