M. Moffa's too much, helps Eastern Tech blank Dulaney, 3-0

He scores all 3 goals as Mavericks capture Baltimore County title

Boys soccer

October 25, 2001|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

With a smile that displays the braces he got as a freshman, Eastern Tech's Matt Moffa doesn't look much like the dangerous scorer he becomes on the soccer field. And Lawrence Ramsey, the Mavericks' 5-foot-10, 250-pound goalie, looks more like a football lineman.

But Moffa, who was a terror in last night's 3-0 shutout of No. 8 Dulaney, scored three times to lift the third-ranked Mavericks to their 12th straight win and the Baltimore County title. And Ramsey's talent and agility belied his appearance as he made nine saves to register his ninth shutout.

Eastern Tech also got fine defensive support from Scott Ercole, Bryan Moffa, Dan Brooks, Matt Friskey, Chris Shimer and David Kerby.

The Mavericks (13-1-1) raised their unbeaten streak to 13 games since a season-opening loss to No. 14 Sparrows Point, last fall's county co-champion. Their last non-victory was a scoreless tie with Dulaney (10-4-1).

"We knew we had a good team coming into the season, but this is the thing we wanted all along," said Ramsey. "We came to play, we communicated, and we played hard. If we did that, we figured we could do it."

Last night, the Lions marked Eastern Tech's top scorer, Powell Cucchiella (11 goals, 12 assists), with 6-3 Chris Keppeler, who successfully limited Cucchiella's touches. But Matt Moffa, the Mavericks' other scoring threat with 14 goals and two assists, got the scoring done early for a 2-0 halftime lead.

Moffa's first goal off a pass from Friskey six minutes into the game, came after he beat All-City/County keeper Nick Warner (six saves) to a ball at the top of the box. Warner delayed before finally emerging from the goal, but Moffa touched the ball past him, and it bounced in to the keeper's left side.

"It was a perfect ball," said Moffa. "After going zero-zero with them earlier this year, we knew if we could get that first goal, we could do it. We just needed a second crack at them."

With 20:40 left in the first half, Moffa converted a penalty kick - this time to Warner's right - after a Dulaney player was called for a tripping infraction in the box.

Early in the second half, Moffa ran onto a through ball from Ercole, touched it past two defenders who flanked him, and, at the 18-yard line, slipped his shot past the right side of the oncoming Warner. The score was 3-0 with 27 minutes left.

"The first goal was an error in my judgment, and they kept playing the long ball, which we didn't defend as well as we usually do," said Warner.

Dulaney's Eric Frey had two scoring chances denied by Ramsey, who grabbed Frey's short header and moments later dived left to stop his volley at the right-hand post. Matt Mindel's shot from 5 yards was touched by Ramsey and trickled past the right post.

In the first half, Eric Belt's shot sailed over the crossbar, and Ramsey made a two-handed stop of a 25-yard volley by Sean Rush at the left post.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.